Newbie question about OnX

Marine sniper

This was my first season using OnX (on my android phone) and had a few things I did not love- perhaps I am using it wrong?
First; it never seemed to properly orientate to North, even when I hit the icon to do it. In addition when I would pinch the screen out to get a closer look of the topo I was in- the screen would flip the map 180 degrees and have where I was and the waypoints I knew where they were in the exact opposite direction. In other words, if I went the direction OnX was telling me to go in order for me to get to my waypoint I would be going the wrong direction every time.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

I find downloading and using offline maps makes it less finicky with the above mentioned items.

I have used it for a few years, and toggle between the north up and orientation to the direction I am facing.

Sometimes I have found I need to start walking if you want the guidance to a waypoint to work correctly.

Also each time I unlock my device, I seem to need to reorient the north or active direction.

I like OnX a lot, but it is a bit finicky on things. Also double check your version. My brother in law was having trouble with the north orientation when we were out a couple of weeks ago. He was never prompted for the latest update, but he did it manually and it helped some of his troubles. I have noticed that as well, the latest version isn't always triggered right away.

Hope that helps

The only thing I can think is that your location, or user controls on your phone are not set right for Onx can't say for sure without seeing it but when I have a problem like that with any ap/program I uninstall it and reinstall it. That way when you put it back on the phone will tell you if something on the phone doesn't line up right with Onx. If you don't mind me asking what state where you using?

I don't use OnX but use BaseMaps which to me is the same thing. I only had this issue once when I didn't have service in the middle of nowhere. I use a map and compass as a backup. By having my map premarked with where I'm starting and where I'm going, I haven't had any more issues. You always need a backup.

K9txs, this reminded me of something I should have added above, I find that if I have spotty or not service where I am at, the OnX app seems to function better if I put the phone in airplane mode. You can still allow GPS and location on.

K9txs, this reminded me of something I should have added above, I find that if I have spotty or not service where I am at, the OnX app seems to function better if I put the phone in airplane mode. You can still allow GPS and location on.
That's true. I've used mine the same way.

Never had a problem. I just use the chips in my Garmins 62 and 64. Work the first time and every time since. The part that sucks is ONx won't update them. I don't care since private land is private land. I get the contact info off the county assessors site just like onx does.

I use Onx, dont have that problem.I use mine both ways.Im always using stored maps.For one state its $30.Land is changing constantly here in MT. Lost many places to hunt in last few years,with land sales.If you travel much and do block management and such you absolutely want current info. For access and contacts.

I've had problems with routing to a waypoint from the magnets in my Marsupial bino case - I ultimately switched to the non-mag version.

Recent Posts