Newbie pronghorn hunter

It's not that I'm uncomfortable shooting distance or full value winds.
I'm never undergunned because I usually use something that's capable of taking the next size up game animal.
I've just read/heard so much about them being small and very thin skinned that I don't want to destroy the hide or meat.
Coyotes and hogs... I don't care if I have a 50 BMG, they're going down lol.
I plan on getting a pronghorn shoulder mount (lord willing if I harvest one), so I don't want the taxidermist piecing together a puzzle of random carcass (joking of course).
Antelope aren't wearing AR500, yet, so they're easy to kill, but try not to, laser blast them in the shoulder? Put it in the lungs. I promise you it won't go far. They taste too good to tear 'em up!

Antelope aren't wearing AR500, yet, so they're easy to kill, but try not to, laser blast them in the shoulder? Put it in the lungs. I promise you it won't go far. They taste too good to tear 'em up!
I'm a behind the shoulder guy. I only shoot a shoulder if they're close to crossing onto another property. Then I anchor them with a shoulder shot.

One thing no one has mentioned, over penetration as in shooting through one antelope and hitting another. Definitely pick your shot and whats behind your target.jmho ps a littlie anatomy lesson.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-52-07.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-52-07.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 327
Heading to NE New Mexico to rifle hunt pronghorn
Question is... which cartridge to use. I'm leaning towards a 6.5, but my 270 WSM and 270 Roy are sick accurate.
Options are 80 grain TTSX 257 Roy, 143 ELDX 6.5 CM, 130 ELDM 260, 143 ELDX 6.5 PRC, 130 VLD 270 Win, 130 AB 270 WSM and 150 ABLR 270 Roy.
All are 1/2" or smaller shooters. 270 Roy is the heaviest 8.5#; Lightest 6.5 CM/260 around 6.4#.
Which one would you choose and why?
Thanks for your opinions.

1. You are going to some fine, fine, pronghorn country. I am a little jealous.
2. Pronghorn are not hard to kill. Any of the cartridges you suggest have the range and power to kill antelope.
3. As we all know, shot placement is more important than terminal ballistics (ignoring unreasonable extremes). Therefore, if the Creedmoor is not as accurate, then that is the easy one to rule out.
4. Since we are talking pronghorn, which are just not that tough to kill, I would recommend the one with less recoil, which, in two rifles which weigh the same, I believe would be the 270 WSM. Which is plenty, PLENTY, of power for pronghorn.

Is there a rifle or a scope that you just like a little better? Maybe go with that one.

Sounds like there really are no bad choices here. Whichever one you pick, don't fret over it too much. You will have more than enough gun.

(Besides, your rifle will jam and you will end up borrowing your buddy's rifle, and you will STILL do fine.). ;-)

Last edited:
1. You are going to some fine, fine, pronghorn country. I am a little jealous.
2. Pronghorn are not hard to kill. Any of the cartridges you suggest have the range and power to kill antelope.
3. As we all know, shot placement is more important than terminal ballistics (ignoring unreasonable extremes). Therefore, if the Creedmoor is not as accurate, then that is the easy one to rule out.
4. Since we are talking pronghorn, which are just not that tough to kill, I would recommend the one with less recoil, which, in two rifles which weigh the same, I believe would be the 270 WSM. Which is plenty, PLENTY, of power for pronghorn.

Is there a rifle or a scope that you just like a little better? Maybe go with that one.

Sounds like there really are no bad choices here. Whichever one you pick, don't fret over it too much. You will have more than enough gun.

(Besides, your rifle will jam and you will end up borrowing your buddy's rifle, and you will STILL do fine.). ;-)
Thanks for the pep talk 😁
All have 4.5-14 scopes and all shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards. So it's more of cartridge selection... which bucks the wind best etc.
10mph winds factored in... the 270 Roy wins. High BC plus higher velocity.

any of your choices will do just fine, antelope are not tough to take down. I've been hunting them for 42 years, we've used the .17 Rem to the 416 Rigby.

Stalking them is a blast, do your best to get within 400 yards and then Powder River let er buck.

Far and away our favorite antelope round is our 22/250 and a 55-63 grain bullet.

Enjoy your hunt, cool off the quarters quickly and enjoy the meat!

Question is... which cartridge to use. I'm leaning towards a 6.5, but my 270 WSM and 270 Roy are sick accurate.
Options are 80 grain TTSX 257 Roy, 143 ELDX 6.5 CM, 130 ELDM 260, 143 ELDX 6.5 PRC, 130 VLD 270 Win, 130 AB 270 WSM and 150 ABLR 270 Roy.
All are 1/2" or smaller shooters. 270 Roy is the heaviest 8.5#; Lightest 6.5 CM/260 around 6.4#.
I'm a big fan of the quarter bore. Been shooting Antelope about 25 years with a 25-284. I think the TTSX is a good choice. I've always used a 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, but those Barnes otta do a good job.
Best of luck on your hunt.

Every one of the cartridges you listed will be more than adequate. I shot my my first few with a .243 and it performed flawlessly. My last 5 have been with my 7 STW with ranges from 300-410 yards. My buddy took his first last season with a 6.5 Creed and it worked just fine (it was an 80" buck......talk about a great first antelope!!). Most hunters in camp had Creeds.
Personally, I'd take your 257 Bee. It's a laser beam of death at those velocity, and if you have it zeroed at 300 yards you won't have to hold or dial if a quick shot is needed.
Where are you hunting exactly. Closer to Raton or closer to Roswell? We were on a huge ranchnorth of Roswell in a "town"called Vaughn.
Oh, and some advice I got from an old timer on hunting antelope. You want to drop them so all that adrenaline doesn't get into the meat if they run. Antelope meat is just delicious. I actually prefer it over elk, which says a lot. My family loves it, too.
It's a fun hunt. Don't have to be up real early. Drive around and glass until you find the one you want to go after.

Every one of the cartridges you listed will be more than adequate. I shot my my first few with a .243 and it performed flawlessly. My last 5 have been with my 7 STW with ranges from 300-410 yards. My buddy took his first last season with a 6.5 Creed and it worked just fine (it was an 80" buck......talk about a great first antelope!!). Most hunters in camp had Creeds.
Personally, I'd take your 257 Bee. It's a laser beam of death at those velocity, and if you have it zeroed at 300 yards you won't have to hold or dial if a quick shot is needed.
Where are you hunting exactly. Closer to Raton or closer to Roswell? We were on a huge ranchnorth of Roswell in a "town"called Vaughn.
Oh, and some advice I got from an old timer on hunting antelope. You want to drop them so all that adrenaline doesn't get into the meat if they run. Antelope meat is just delicious. I actually prefer it over elk, which says a lot. My family loves it, too.
It's a fun hunt. Don't have to be up real early. Drive around and glass until you find the one you want to go after.

Thanks, I'll be in unit 56 between Raton/Clayton

I'll echo what Doug says regarding the meat, we like the antelope as much as the elk. Just wish the antelope had a lot more to them...

03USMC- are you going guided?

I'll echo what Doug says regarding the meat, we like the antelope as much as the elk. Just wish the antelope had a lot more to them...

03USMC- are you going guided?

No sir, alone.
I'll drive around and scout bucks a day or so before season opener. Then carry a day pack with a spotter, shooting sticks and all the essentials.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.