Newbie pronghorn hunter

03USMC

Heading to NE New Mexico to rifle hunt pronghorn
Question is... which cartridge to use. I'm leaning towards a 6.5, but my 270 WSM and 270 Roy are sick accurate.
Options are 80 grain TTSX 257 Roy, 143 ELDX 6.5 CM, 130 ELDM 260, 143 ELDX 6.5 PRC, 130 VLD 270 Win, 130 AB 270 WSM and 150 ABLR 270 Roy.
All are 1/2" or smaller shooters. 270 Roy is the heaviest 8.5#; Lightest 6.5 CM/260 around 6.4#.
Which one would you choose and why?
Thanks for your opinions.

I would say you are more likely to have a great deal of wind than the need to shoot past 400 yards. I'd roll with Roys 257. That speed will beat wind better than BC to 400 for sure.

Thanks, I was leaning towards the 257 Roy, but wasn't sure if the wind would be a major factor with over 3800 FPS with that tiny 80 grain pill.

Not sure about hunting them there, but we kill a TON of goats here in Wyoming, around 10-15 a year. Wind is a big factor, also throw into the equation the fact that pronghorn are very small animals, with very small kill zones, and you want accuracy and good wind bucking. You can kill them pretty easy with a 22 cal, so I wouldn't be too concerned on energy. Just look at which gun has the least amount of wind drift. Our ranges have been from around 100 yards out to 980 yards, with the average being around 450 yards. However, if you are after one specific goat, sometimes the shots can stretch out. The farther shots we take are almost entirely bucks, with the majority of the goats shot inside 500 yards being does.

Not sure about hunting them there, but we kill a TON of goats here in Wyoming, around 10-15 a year. Wind is a big factor, also throw into the equation the fact that pronghorn are very small animals, with very small kill zones, and you want accuracy and good wind bucking. You can kill them pretty easy with a 22 cal, so I wouldn't be too concerned on energy. Just look at which gun has the least amount of wind drift. Our ranges have been from around 100 yards out to 980 yards, with the average being around 450 yards. However, if you are after one specific goat, sometimes the shots can stretch out. The farther shots we take are almost entirely bucks, with the majority of the goats shot inside 500 yards being does.

Thank you. I always try to close the distance on animals I'm after, but I do understand how spastic and nervous they can be so longer shots are sometimes the norm

......Just look at which gun has the least amount of wind drift. Our ranges have been from around 100 yards out to 980 yards, with the average being around 450 yards.....However, if you are after one specific goat, sometimes the shots can stretch out. The farther shots we take are almost entirely bucks, with the majority of the goats shot inside 500 yards being does........

Meat hunts vs something special for the wall. Now or never, vs come back tomorrow when conditions are more favorable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.