newbie needs help

regularjoe

Hi Guys, I could use some help with my new set-up.
I am new to long range shooting and am experiencing "lack-of-experience" issues.
I am shooting a 300WSM HS Precision which is new. I topped it with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 scope on a 20 moa NF base.

I dialed in the scope to shoot zero at 100 yds... nice 3/4 inch groups with Winchester supreme 180 gr. e-tips, shooting off a back-pack on a four wheeler for a rest. I decided to give a long range shot a try.... backed up to 450 yds, using a ballistic FTE calculator on my iphone it showed a bullet drop of -33 inches. So, I dialed my scope up 28 clicks or 7 MOA.. I torched off six rounds and got a 8 inch group that had a POI eight inches high....... What did I do wrong besides NOT following the well written article on setting up a new outfit found on this site? All comments are welcome including the smart-alec type....... Thank you

For clarification, I am not concerned about the grouping, but rather why the group at 450 yards was high by so much, I have never used a scope with tactical turrets and am concerned since I got a decent group but too high POI I did something wrong??

Last edited:
I suggest you measure the speed of your bullet. Go to a chronograph and see if you are getting the speed that is advertised for your particular load. In many cases the speed will be different from the advertised velocity and you will need to adjust for that in your ballistic program.

Thanks lightwind,
I dont have a chronograph. The box of ammo said MV of 3010. I wondered if that was for a 24 inch barrel?? I have a 26" barrel.

Try going to their web site and see if they post their testing conditions. If you don't have a chronograph, you might go to your favorite gun shop and ask if they have any contacts that might go out and measure your speed with you. My gun range used to have a chronograph but someone shot it up too many times so now we have to find someone with one or buy our own. You will run into this problem every time you get different ammo and also if you load your own so I would recommend finding someone to help you out. This is a common problem with ballistic calculators when you plug in standard numbers. They are great if you get the numbers right but can really cause a problem if you don't. The bottom line is to practice (as you are doing) before hunting season.

Well, you know by actual shooting that your rifle hits higher than expected so just adjust your scope accordingly. The test barrel the ammunition manufacturer used to get the load data is no doubt different than yours to say nothing of other factors such as ambient temperature and humidity.

Where in north Idaho? If you're interested in the chronograph angle I might be able to help. If it shoots well go with it, but if you chronograph at the end you're going to go with what your sights tell you anyhow. If you were reloading you might make adjustments to your loads based on what feedback a chrono gives you.

Where in north Idaho? If you're interested in the chronograph angle I might be able to help. If it shoots well go with it, but if you chronograph at the end you're going to go with what your sights tell you anyhow. If you were reloading you might make adjustments to your loads based on what feedback a chrono gives you.

Harperc,

I live in Post Falls and could use all the help I could get. Let me know if were close. Thank you

Harperc,

I live in Post Falls and could use all the help I could get. Let me know if were close. Thank you
Spokane. So we're pretty close. i've got a goofy schedule-12 hour nights, just headed to bed. I've got days off coming if you pm your phone #, and a good time to call, I'll get back to you by the weekend. It's about education and entertainment could be we both learn something.

You may also need to box test your scope, meaning to check that the knobs are actually moving the reticle as advertised. I recently did this with my Vortex PST to check if it was the scope (I am having similar issues with the POI being slightly high for what the program says):

1) Create a LARGE target with precisely measured impact points for a set distance. I used 50 yards, with a 1 mil grid spacing (1.8" at 50) since my scope is mil/mil.
2) Set the scope to that range zero at the bottom of the target (bottom since you will be dialing up for all long range shots).
3) Dial the scope up, left, right several mils or MOA, depending on scope. Aim for the bottom target dot at all times.
4) Verify that the groups are in the proper impact points for several combinations of offsets.

FYI, my scope was dead on...so I'm still searching for the reason. I need a chronograph, I guess. Or maybe I'll just fit the curve for the loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.