newbie looking for reloading reference/how to books

SouthTXBowhunter

Hey there y'all!

I'm thinking about getting into hand-loading but besides reloading shotgun shells as a kid, I don't have a clue. So, I need some books to walk me through the basics and, hopefully, beyond. Right now I'd be loading for my 25 WSSM and a new .223 I'm building. In the future I'll probably looking to reload something like a 308, 300 Win Mag or a 300 Ultra Mag- if that's any help?

Thanks, in advance, for any help y'all can give me to get started!

Nick

P.S. What kind of a budget should I be looking to put away to get started hand loading. I rather buy good stuff than cheap, but my pockets aren't all that deep so I may need to go middle-of-the-road in the beginning and upgrade as time goes by.

I got the RCBS basic kit. It came with the Speer manual. It is the best book out of Barnes, Nosler, Speer. Kit is pretty easy to use.

Make sure you have a good table. I'm on table #3 in just the same # of weeks. Finally bolted some 2x6's to a portable Black and Decker Vise. Small top but I can mount my press and brass trimmer on it.

I have a single stage press and it does me fine. I know some folks really like the turrent press and no doubt it speeds up the process but I like to take my time.

Lyman's reloading manual has a lot of good information.

Redding and Forster make the better presses and dies. I would suggest forgoing the powder measure and invest up front in the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. If you go with a beam scale, RCBS 502, 505, and 10-10 are all made by Ohaus and are the desired pieces. Used with a set of Lee dippers and a Redding trickler, a powder measure is not needed. You will need a case trimmer, chamfering tool (VLD-type for inside) and a priming tool along with a dial caliper. Lee makes popular and inexpensive priming tool and case trimmer, and will serve unless you have another preference. With study and planning, you can get a simple set-up of very good equipment that won't be replaced later.

When you're ready to expand your efforts, a Sinclair catalog and a copy of Glen Zediker's "Handloading for Competition" (available from Sinclair) will provide a guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.