Newbie in Edmonton Alberta!

bucktomcat

Hi, I've been hunting for 26 years, I'm an ok shot. I spent 13 years in the army.

I'm in the process of finding a rifle for 500+ yards hunting , because of the variety of bullets, loads etc I think a 300 win mag will be my first long range caliber. I could easily be talked into a 300 wsm...!!!

So far because of budget(no more than $1500-2000 I'm thinking a Savage 111 long range hunter or a Remington sendero both in 300 win mag.

Are these decent rifles??? Which one would be better if you had to pick one???

Any help is appreciated Thanks

Joel

PS about the same amount will be spent on a good scope.

Hi Joel,

I'm in the Sherwood Park, Alberta area and glad to see another Alberta guy on this site. I don't regularly post questions or comments - more of a spectatator.

If I may, I'd like to comment on your choice of 300 Win Mag or 300WSM as your desired long range rifle project. I wouldn't choose either of these calibres for 2 reasons which are the lack of quality brass and excessive recoil.

With todays very high quality reloading products and bullets it's amazing, as an example what a 308 can accomplish.

Have a good one !
AL

Hi Albertaal, I hear you loud and clear but, my choice for the 300 wm caliber is for past 500yrds it will have a lot more enery than the 308.

As for the kick I plan on gettin a brake put on it and the rifle should weigh around 11 lbs. Those two combine should reduce the kick dramadically.

I think I'm leaning towards the Sendero, I hear a lot of good things on it.

BTW where do people shoot long range around here?

Thanks for the input!

joel

The long range shooting range is "Genessee" west of Edmonton 1 hr.
Memberships are purchased at Edmonton gun shops with directions.

You might want consider the 338 Lapua in lieu of 300 Win Mag...especially sinec recoil and weight arent a factor. Also. better resale.
Better brass quality, and you can even shoot 1/2 mile or more

Hi, I've been hunting for 26 years, I'm an ok shot. I spent 13 years in the army.

I'm in the process of finding a rifle for 500+ yards hunting , because of the variety of bullets, loads etc I think a 300 win mag will be my first long range caliber. I could easily be talked into a 300 wsm...!!!

So far because of budget(no more than $1500-2000 I'm thinking a Savage 111 long range hunter or a Remington sendero both in 300 win mag.

Are these decent rifles??? Which one would be better if you had to pick one???

Any help is appreciated Thanks

Joel

PS about the same amount will be spent on a good scope.

Welcom aboard,
300wm is a great hunting rifle, and if you reload using 200g or 208 Amax, 240g bullets you can go a long way. My hunting partner got a 300wm in Tikka with sport barel, and after reloading 200g AB he shots regulary up to 1100yrd at 12x12in metal plate.
Just get the best scope what you can afford: NSX, or IOR, Leupod Mark IV, and with 300wm 600-700yards shots will be BORRING.

Re: 300WinMag
I sold my SAKO 75 in 300 WinMag in September of this year.
My pet load was Berger 210's seated 5 thou from rifling, and used Lapua brass, and the best powder for accuracy and velocity was H1000

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.