Newbie here...

HillCountry54

All,
I am new here and to long range hunting. I have several questions that cannot be addressed in 1 thread. But to start,
I just bought a Remington model 700, Sendero SF, 7mm RUM. I am almost done sighting it in @ 300yrds. My main ques is this, how accurate should I expect this gun to be with factory loads? I read some threads talking about 1/3" @ 300yrds. Thats a group!!!
Is that even possible with my gun?
Thansk in advance for all the help.

Hey Hill Country! This is Dave from Austin. I have a M700 in plain old blued Sendero in .25-06 that will consistently shoot under 1" @100 yards with std. factory ammo. My handloads are running in the .2's @100 yards. I have done absolutely no work to this gun at all, not even trigger. I understand as with any rifle that it is luck of the draw. Fortunately my experience has been excellent.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Hey Hill Country! This is Dave from Austin. I have a M700 in plain old blued Sendero in .25-06 that will consistently shoot under 1" @100 yards with std. factory ammo. My handloads are running in the .2's @100 yards. I have done absolutely no work to this gun at all, not even trigger. I understand as with any rifle that it is luck of the draw. Fortunately my experience has been excellent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm at work in Austin right now, but I live in Wimberley. Thanks, I hope to go finish sighting my gun in soon and will post my results. However I am not the best shot, and I am just shooting off a harris bi-pod.
We'll see...
grin.gif

Hill Country, you must work for Dell!
grin.gif
I just got home a little while ago myself! I suggest you get a front rest (even the cheap "Rock" from Midway works OK) and a rear leather bag for shooting off the bench. This is a much better setup for determining the true accuracy of your rifle. I have used bipods before, but I think they stress the stock and affect shooting, but I don't know for sure. I have had better luck with a rest and bag versus the bipod. Good Luck! Dave

[ 10-19-2004: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

I am probably not the best person to answer that question. I do know that I have had better luck with rests than a bipod. I do alot of shooting from the bench developing loads however.

Hill, I own a Sendero blued in 300 win mag and I have had absolutely no problem getting 1/3 MOA groups with a little careful handloading. The best group I shot was a .55 inch 3 shot group at 300 meters with a bipod and sand sock. If you play around with your loads you should be able to get .5 or less off a bipod. Good Luck.

I second the accuracy potential with the 7 RUM sendero. Mine will shoot 5 shot groups within 0.5 inches at 100 yards and around 3 inches or less at 300 yards if I do my part. I didn't do anything with it except adjust the trigger and that made life a lot better. It did have a stiff (8.5 lb yes 8.5 lb trigger) but other than that it did very well indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.