Newbie here...

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by HillCountry54, Oct 19, 2004.

1. HillCountry54

HillCountry54 Member

All,
    I am new here and to long range hunting. I have several questions that cannot be addressed in 1 thread. But to start,
    I just bought a Remington model 700, Sendero SF, 7mm RUM. I am almost done sighting it in @ 300yrds. My main ques is this, how accurate should I expect this gun to be with factory loads? I read some threads talking about 1/3" @ 300yrds. Thats a group!!!
    Is that even possible with my gun?
    Thansk in advance for all the help.

2. Shark Bait

Shark Bait Member

Hey Hill Country! This is Dave from Austin. I have a M700 in plain old blued Sendero in .25-06 that will consistently shoot under 1" @100 yards with std. factory ammo. My handloads are running in the .2's @100 yards. I have done absolutely no work to this gun at all, not even trigger. I understand as with any rifle that it is luck of the draw. Fortunately my experience has been excellent. [​IMG]

3. HillCountry54

HillCountry54 Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Hey Hill Country! This is Dave from Austin. I have a M700 in plain old blued Sendero in .25-06 that will consistently shoot under 1" @100 yards with std. factory ammo. My handloads are running in the .2's @100 yards. I have done absolutely no work to this gun at all, not even trigger. I understand as with any rifle that it is luck of the draw. Fortunately my experience has been excellent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm at work in Austin right now, but I live in Wimberley. Thanks, I hope to go finish sighting my gun in soon and will post my results. However I am not the best shot, and I am just shooting off a harris bi-pod.
    We'll see... [​IMG]

4. Shark Bait

Shark Bait Member

Hill Country, you must work for Dell! [​IMG] I just got home a little while ago myself! I suggest you get a front rest (even the cheap "Rock" from Midway works OK) and a rear leather bag for shooting off the bench. This is a much better setup for determining the true accuracy of your rifle. I have used bipods before, but I think they stress the stock and affect shooting, but I don't know for sure. I have had better luck with a rest and bag versus the bipod. Good Luck! Dave

[ 10-19-2004: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

5. HillCountry54

HillCountry54 Member

Actually AMD...
    The bipod should not affect anything if its floated right..?

6. Shark Bait

Shark Bait Member

I am probably not the best person to answer that question. I do know that I have had better luck with rests than a bipod. I do alot of shooting from the bench developing loads however.

7. Jaeger476

Jaeger476 Member

Hill, I own a Sendero blued in 300 win mag and I have had absolutely no problem getting 1/3 MOA groups with a little careful handloading. The best group I shot was a .55 inch 3 shot group at 300 meters with a bipod and sand sock. If you play around with your loads you should be able to get .5 or less off a bipod. Good Luck.

8. HillCountry54

HillCountry54 Member

Thanks all [​IMG]

Heres some pics. Probably seen one before but I'm proud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ 10-20-2004: Message edited by: HillCountry54 ]

9. bblaine2k

bblaine2k Well-Known Member

I second the accuracy potential with the 7 RUM sendero. Mine will shoot 5 shot groups within 0.5 inches at 100 yards and around 3 inches or less at 300 yards if I do my part. I didn't do anything with it except adjust the trigger and that made life a lot better. It did have a stiff (8.5 lb yes 8.5 lb trigger) but other than that it did very well indeed.