Newbie here on the forum with a question.

vahena, you have received a ton of great information so far. As has been said, get out and shoot your gun and see how accurate it is. You don't really state if your goal is to just target shoot or to eventually hunt at longer distances, but the 7mag will be a great one to start with. Do your best to improve the accuracy of both your gun and yourself. If you can start shooting sub-MOA with your gun, there is no real need to go buy another rifle. However, getting to sub-MOA might take reloading and might also take the steps that WildRose recommended (bedding, pillars, free float, etc). Bottom line is to get out there and do some shooting and figure out how accurate you and your rifle currently are. In the meantime, spend a bunch of time around here reading and learning. You will be amazed at the amount of information you pick up from guys like WildRose, Roninflag, and the countless other experts who hang around here.

Welcome to the gang. Will you be going to the show in Harrisburg? Stop in at the Best of the West booth and chat a little while. We will also be at the Eastern Sheep show in Lancaster the following week. We would be glad to answer all your questions.

Hey Guys,

As mentioned above that is my intent to go shoot what I have , enjoy and learn more from the experience gentleman here on the forum.

But i am located in the notheast and it is 18 degrees plus chill factor. next best thing is to get ready for early spring, read, listen and learn.

I am only interested in target shooting, right now I am shooting spots, twice a week at my archery league indoors.

Vahena
Welcome to the forum!

+2 on all the positive 7mm RemMag input. Everyone I know who shoots 7mm's loves them. I never heard somebody say, "Had a 7mm and it sucked so I sold it." That says it all to me.

WildRose is straight up about improving your rifle. I have only seen one rifle with conventional bedding shoot well. Glass bedding and free floating is a must.

Good scope purchase!

KB

Hello Everyone.
I feel I have received a wealth of information here so far and I intend on using it. I received my new Nikon scope 6-24x 50mm the other day and have installed it on the rifle, I am going to get it bore sighted this week to cut down on the amount of ammo to get it zeroed in. it is still too cold to go to the range but reading alot and thinking about all that has been said.

I have tried to slid a dollar bill between the barrel and forearm but it was too tight, I am looking at this as a good sign.
I will start reading up on free floating and bedding, and see if indeed the rifle may need it, after I first shoot it in the early spring, which is right around the corner.

Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I have decided to take a picture of the rifle later today, as we men are so visual and to see what I am working with.

Mauser 7mm rem mag1.jpg

I know this is just another pic of a rifle but to me its the beginning of a journey.

roninflag,
It is a Mauser 3000 l, 7mm rem mag, it was made in Germany and distributed by a Co. in I believe in Mass.
They were only on the market for two years and were a fairly inexpensive rifle. I understand from my research that they are a very good shooting rifle and the action is smooth as glass.

I bought the rifle because it was a left hand bolt, but mainly because of its beauty, and the walnut wood grain which is a sort of tiger strip. The picture does not do it justice but over all the rifle is in excellent condition thru out. The bore look to have not been shot, if at all. They are getting harder and harder to find in this condition.

Either way I am so looking forward to shooting it and we will see from there.

Hello Everyone.
I feel I have received a wealth of information here so far and I intend on using it. I received my new Nikon scope 6-24x 50mm the other day and have installed it on the rifle, I am going to get it bore sighted this week to cut down on the amount of ammo to get it zeroed in. it is still too cold to go to the range but reading alot and thinking about all that has been said.

I have tried to slid a dollar bill between the barrel and forearm but it was too tight, I am looking at this as a good sign.
I will start reading up on free floating and bedding, and see if indeed the rifle may need it, after I first shoot it in the early spring, which is right around the corner.

Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I have decided to take a picture of the rifle later today, as we men are so visual and to see what I am working with.
Since you can't get the dollar bill to slide freely it means you have contact and thus it's not free floated.

This is very easy to solve yourself.

Remove the barreled ation from the stock.

Carry the stock down to the hardware store with you.

Find a dowel rod about the same diameter as the barrel channel at the fore end, and one the next size bigger.

Get yourself some 80 grit sand paper, for the rough in and some 120 to finish.

Cut your dowels of so you have a piece about 8" long.

Lay it on a piece of the 80gr and pull it down tight. an insert it into the channel.

Work it back and forth till you have removed enough material to make a bit of a mess with the sawdust.

Now, use the bigger piece and do the same thing all the way back to the lug cut out.

Repeat.

Replace the barreled action and see if you can pass the dollar bill freely. If you cannot repeat until you can.

Personally I want a thickness of about 3 dollar bills clearance all the way. That will give me the space I need below the chamber when I bed it. When I bed one I bed both the lug area and under the barrel for about 3" forward of the barrel lug.

When you have good clearance, then smooth it all up with the 120gr.

I'll then use something like formby's oil finish to season and help seal the wood. When it won't soak up any more coats of it I'll seal it with Minwax or a similar was based finish or shellac. That way you seal in the oil and seal out the elements reducing changes in the stock due to changes in humidity and temperature.

I seriously suggest you do this before you even bother shooting it. Till you've at least done this much you will have no real idea of what kind of accuracy the rifle is capable of.

BTW, beautiful stick there.

wildrose,
You were reading my mind, just last night I started reading about free floating and that sounds easy enough to do as I am a finish carpenter by trade.

I also read some on bedding and pillaring and thought while I have this rifle all apart and it is too cold to shoot, I would talk to you about doing so as I want this to be perfect and I am not adverse to spending more time on some thing to make it perfect
to last the next 100 years, I am old school and believe in doing things right.

Do I buy a kit to do these things? Pillaring and bedding.

Also the barrel is a sportster style and not a heavy bull barrel, but I want to make this project all it can be. before moving on to another rifle in the future, as I believe this will be a good education, as the addiction takes over. LOL....

Vahena- what model is that?? very attractive rifle. mauser ? left handed??

The Mauser 3000 series were build by famous Heym in Muennerstadt (Western Germany), and they were exactly corresponding to Heym's own SR - 20 series at those times. Fantastic guns with a huge reputation. Bedded and freefloating they will shoot lights out. Owned a SR 20 N LH myself, and it was one of the best rifles I ever did own. Heym is still producing now in its town of origin Suhl, where all began at 1865. Take a look at Heym - USA (Dallas/Tx) and you won't regret it! gun)

The Mauser 3000 series were build by famous Heym in Muennerstadt (Western Germany), and they were exactly corresponding to Heym's own SR - 20 series at those times. Fantastic guns with a huge reputation. Bedded and freefloating they will shoot lights out. Owned a SR 20 N LH myself, and it was one of the best rifles I ever did own. Heym is still producing now in its town of origin Suhl, where all began at 1865. Take a look at Heym - USA (Dallas/Tx) and you won't regret it! gun)

Varberger757,
That is great news, I have read a little about the piece before I bought it and was pleased with what I read.

But your post has encouraged me more, to proceed with this project. I will indeed look him up.
Thanks

Vahena- heym is a known for some great craftsmanship, also suhl know for some precision rifles , 22rf benchrest. i would not do anything (carving floating pillars ect) until i shot it the way it is. The only thing i would consider is - have a gunsmith put a muzzle break on it. Even my sendero weight magnums have muzzle breaks. i do have a sporter weight 7mm mag ( 1968 rem 700 ) no break and not floated that shoots great. i would be getting my components together. some 168 berger for sure , some h-1000 , some norma or nosler brass, WLRM and GM 215 primers. a hornady comparator to determine seating depth.

Varberger757,
That is great news, I have read a little about the piece before I bought it and was pleased with what I read.

But your post has encouraged me more, to proceed with this project. I will indeed look him up.
Thanks

:) Really nice if I could help and encourage you with your fantastic Mauser. Do as Roninflag considers and try out first with the not modified gun! I think he might be right.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.