Newbie getting scope dialed

DIDIHITIT?

Previously Chaske Johnson
I have been working on a load for my new rifle. I have a christensen mesa in 7mm rem mag with a vortex viper hs lr 4-16x50. I landed on the 168 gr. barnes lrx. With 63.8 gr. Of h1000 I am getting 2880 fps seated .030 off the lands. This load produced a .497" 4 shot group at 100. That is my best group ever out of a rifle. I feel ready to move forward as I have load recipe where I want it, I'm all chonographed and feel my information is in place. I am getting ready to head out again and try 200, 300, 400, and 500. I was going to punch paper and get some real world data to verify my drops and compare that to my ballistics calculator data. My scope only adjusts in 1/2 moa adjustments so I dont plan on stretching much past 600. Definitely wanna try 1000 just because I've always wanted to. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice for moving forward as this is my first long range endeavor. I'm also waiting on the call for the elk to come down. In Montana we have the shoulder season for cows on private till February 15th and I'm sure I'll get to try this new set up on a cow.

Attachments

• 20200118_085201.jpg
    20200118_085201.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
Your idea of testing your load at extended ranges is a very good idea. I suggest to just practice a lot and learn your rifle and load. Focus on getting use to shooting prone with a bipod and rear sand bag. Get use to seeing a target with the naked eye and quickly getting the rifle on target and seeing your target in the scope. Work on getting setup on target, ranging your target, dialing your scope, making a good wind call, and getting a round on target. No one is perfect, but the more you practice and the more you challenge yourself, the better you'll get and the further you can stretch your range.

Congrats on New rifle , your reloads ,& the nice group in the picture , it's good your testing at different yardages ,it's also a great Confidence booster , I've been a Barnes fan from their start ,have their first 3 manuals , great luck getting your female elk & thks for the post !,cheers !!!.

Just got back from the hills and shot at some distance. I confirmed drop according to vortex ballistic calculator and it was actually very close. I started at 300, then 400, 500 and finally 600. The only reason I didn't keep moving target is cause I ran out of cartridges. It shot 1/2 moa or better at every range except 400 which shot 3/4. I live in one of the windiest areas in Montana, so shooting in the wind is a given. I didn't play with wind too much as the goal was just to check elevation. But I got pretty close in the 15 mph wind using my bdc windage hashmarks. I learned a lot and had a bunch of fun doing this. It's the farthest I've shot paper before. I'm gonna go back out next chance I get and try 7, 8, 9 and 1000. Thanks for the advice guys! This is my 500 yard group. Just over 2"

Attachments

• 20200125_081523.jpg
    20200125_081523.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200125_081523.jpg
    20200125_081523.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
From what i've seen and has been proven is to make sure that you ES is as low as possible with your load. A slightly faster load with a greater ES will will be less accurate and/consistent at long ranges than one that is slightly slower but with a tighter ES. I'm hoping to stretch the legs on my new rifle when she comes in in a couple weeks. Good luck!

D, that's a great load combo. Several of us are shooting essentially the same. Hope you get a cow, they are tasty!

Groups look good, work on reading/doping the wind that's the hard part about longer range shooting. You and the load look plenty capable practice is about the only next step in the situation. 2" groups at 500yd is pretty stellar and that load should be plenty capable at that range. Keep practicing at long range so those 3-500yd shots will become second nature, if your luck is anything like mine I'll shoot all year at longer range and be presented with nothing but 2-300yd shots when season comes around but knowing you've made 100 shots at twice that yardage is a real confidence builder. Congrats on the load development that's the most intimidating thing first few times.
I'm in Ky so windy days for us are nothing compared to ya'll, I've found a 22lr and 100yd shooting helps me to read the wind more than anything.
Let us know how the hunting goes and keep after it, welcome to one of the most addicting sports around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.