Newbie from New York’s Finger Lakes region

46rkl

Hello all. Living in upstate New York's Finger Lakes area has provided me with plenty of great whitetail hunting experiences but the average shot distance in this area is about 25 yards. Hardly long range shooting. Now that I'm retired after 33 years of teaching HS chemistry and environmental science, I'm ready to do some western hunting. I have drawn a Wyoming antelope tag for unit 73 this year along with 3 buddies. None of us has any experience hunting antelope so any advice is welcome. I'm planning on using my 25-06 as my primary weapon while also taking my compound bow and muzzleloader just as some possible options.
I guess my primary concern is a scope. Far from my area of expertise as I typically hunt with iron sights. I have a Leupold 3-12X on there sighted in well at 100 yards. Should I work on zeroing it at 200 yds or just work on figuring out the drop at longer distances?
Hey, I'm glad to be here and plan on browsing a lot of old postings to see what I can learn.

Welcome to the group.

As far as zero goes that's up to you. Some like a more point blank zero and some like the 100 yrd zero with drops. What is your distance limit as it sounds like you don't get to practice longer shots.

Thanks

Buck

Welcome!

Yeah totally depends on your style shooting... I personally dial my elevation for longer shots, when I can. I also typically use first focal plane scopes, since the reticle stays in the same proportion to the target- that way I can hold over no matter what magnification I'm on.

You can't do that with your scope, most likely (I'm assuming it is second focal plane). So, if you want to use reticle hash marks for hold over, you are going to have to dial to a specific magnification where those holdovers are accurate. Usually max magnification.

If it's a long shot, you will likely be on max anyway... But if you aren't, and you use hash marks to hold over, you will likely miss (at best).

If you aren't going to shoot more than 300-400 yards, you can work out some drops and pretty much know how high to hold over.

Best of luck!!

Welcome to the forum! I think the 3-12x Leupold could work for you. It's possible to have a close shot but more likely to have a long shot. Try proving out the scope in terms of dialing accuracy and return to zero. Then characterize the drops of you "weapon system" over longer distances.

A 100 yard zero is the preferred distance.

Welcome from Tennessee. Although most of my whitetail hunting is short range, I have a spot picked out for this year that will allow shot opportunities out past 600 yards. The only way to get comfortable is to practice. This can be difficult in the east without putting miles on your vehicle.