Newb with my NF NX8 4-32

Dirt_Nap

New to higher end optics lately. My first hunting optic was a $400 Nikon Monarch. The Nikon appeared clear during the day but struggled at low light. Purchased this Nf to replace it. I'm having a hard time with the eyebox. When I'm out hunting, I feel like I'm trying look through a spotting scope for the first time when I was 10 years old! Not sure if it's just me or if that's the way it is. Looking for another scope to purchase that's a kitty more forgiving. My buddy loves his swaro X5i. Any help?

First, if you have the rear lense cover on, I would pull that thing off. It makes the image look like crap and creates a "tunneling" view because it sits back like a freaking 1/2" from the rear eyepiece. You shouldn't have any issues really near 16-20 power honestly. I've shot behind a ton of scopes, and the NX8 isn't super terrible in comparison, until you get into the high high magnification. A 3-18 or something is going to appear amazing, because it only goes to 18 power. When in reality if you take a 4-32 optic and just run it at 18 power, it'll be nice also. Mostly referring to mid range optics here also. High end optics are amazing at most powers.

Yep, keep that thing at mid power and you shouldn't have that much of an issue. For me, the only time i am at the upper end is either when I am prone with a good rest or on a bench to view an animal or target...never when taking a shot.

New to higher end optics lately. My first hunting optic was a $400 Nikon Monarch. The Nikon appeared clear during the day but struggled at low light. Purchased this Nf to replace it. I'm having a hard time with the eyebox. When I'm out hunting, I feel like I'm trying look through a spotting scope for the first time when I was 10 years old! Not sure if it's just me or if that's the way it is. Looking for another scope to purchase that's a kitty more forgiving. My buddy loves his swaro X5i. Any help?
Yep I had the same frustrations with mine and ended up selling it.
An 8x erector with a short tube is going so suffer optically there's just no way around it.
Look for a scope that has a longer tube, and 5 to 6x zoom ratio.
I've heard good things about the Steiner T6xi, NF ATACR would be a good upgrade too

Have you adjusted the scope for eye relief? Very important in setting up an NX8. Once correct you'll enjoy it. That being said it is a little tighter eye box than others. The X5i is more forgiving.

It sounds like you need to spend a little bit of time setting the rifle up properly. Does the rifle have an adjustable cheek piece? The eye relief you can obviously adjust by moving the optic forward or backward, but you definitely need the rifle to be adjusted and properly fitting you to fix the issue you're having. I wouldn't call it a problem with the optic, just that it is a little less forgiving. My personal suggestion, when setting the rifle up, do it on the higher end of the magnification range when adjusting eye relief and your cheek riser. Once it's all correctly set up as a system for you, you won't have a problem. Just my opinion.

Adjust your eye relief and get a stock pad (+/- $40 for one with different size inserts) to help keep your cheek weld the same ea time. The NX8, especially in the 2.5x20.does have a tighter eye box, but it's a phenomenal scope, so worth spending a little time to get it set up right for you.

I'm not a huge NF fan. Yes, they are great, but, side by side, it's very hard not to pick a VX-6 over a Nightforce. Image and weight.

That said, I haven't looked through every NF ever made. I'm a Leupold fan. When you get into the VX-5 and VX-6 models, you won't be disappointed.

Don't give up just yet. Once set up properly it's a great scope. I had to move my rings forward on the picatinny rail by one rung, thus moving the entire scope forward. I have a long neck and couldn't get the eye box set up correctly. I adjusted the focus again after moving it forward, and now I'm very happy with my purchase.

T3ninja has some great advice. You need to get the comb hight close then adjust scope front to back at higher power maybe at 25x. It's difficult but can be done on sporter stock (low comb) with fixed rings. Picatinneny rail gives you more flexibility.

Try putting your scope where the magnification ring is right above the trigger and then fine tune from there. Fine tune it on max power.

When in reality if you take a 4-32 optic and just run it at 18 power, it'll be nice also. Mostly referring to mid range optics here also. High end optics are amazing at most powers.

I don't understand this thread. When I purchase a scope I expect it to be as clear on the maximum magnification as it is on the minimum magnification. My Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, Leupold VX6 4-24X52, Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and my March 2 1/2-25X52 are all clear to their max magnifications. I use a military optics chart 127 yard away to compare optical quality. When I turn up the Bushnell none of the others can keep up with it because it is great on 30X. All the others are great on their respective maximums.

The first Bushnell 6500 I bought was not a keeper because it was blurry above 25X. I returned it for a refund and purchased another. Then I purchased two more. I would not keep a scope that punks out in the higher magnification settings. By the way the Bushnell cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the others.