Newb Question

Csafisher

Hey guys,

New to reloading. I just used a hornady oal gauge to get an initial measurement for a rem 5r in 308 with 178 gr eldx bullets. Seated to the lands the COAL is 2.944. This is really long isn't it? Anyone know more or less the mag length of a stock 5r. If it's in the 2.83 ballpark that puts the bullet a little more than a tenth of an inch off the lands??

If its that far off the lands you either have to single feed or accept the jump and try working up a load with a COAL that will fit in your mag. The last 5R I had I just ordered a magpul DBM setup since they are cheap and did a little dremel work on the stock so I could run DBM setup. Worked pretty good actually and didn't take that long. There are a few videos on the ol you tube that can get you pointed in the right direction. I been out of stock rifles for a good while but from what I can remember stock rem have a long throat.

Mag length will be about 2.830 max cartridge length. You can do a few things.

Seat to your max length and see how they shoot

Purchase a dbm (preferably one that accepts AICS pattern mags) and if you get an ARC magazine, you will be able to load on out to the lands. Wyatts dbm only allows 2.875, and the magpul aics mags only allow about 2.875-2.900 as well if memory serves. The standard aics mags could work if you got one without, or removed the spacer plate inside.

Last option, purchase a Wyatts extended mag box and have a smith mill your reciever for it to fit, and you will still have a bdl setup, but be able to run roumds up to about 3.00" long.

I would try to load within length and see how they shoot first. If you can't get what you want out of it, then go for one of the other two.

If its that far off the lands you either have to single feed or accept the jump and try working up a load with a COAL that will fit in your mag. The last 5R I had I just ordered a magpul DBM setup since they are cheap and did a little dremel work on the stock so I could run DBM setup. Worked pretty good actually and didn't take that long. There are a few videos on the ol you tube that can get you pointed in the right direction. I been out of stock rifles for a good while but from what I can remember stock rem have a long throat.
^^^This, sort of. I have a few Magpul DBMs on some of my stocks (they are a great option and affordable!!), but rather than modifying the stock, I use the dremel to modify the Magpul. A couple thousandths of an inch off of the OD of the Magpul bottom metal is much easier/cheaper to replace if you go one too many. Stocks are expensive, and modified stocks take a sizable value hit if you ever want to try to sell it later.

Another option is to use your calipers that you're using to measure your COAL and measure the inside dimensions of the factory magazine box. That takes most of the guesswork out of finding your max COAL if intending to keep it factory and a repeater.

Thanks for the reply's. I just loaded up a few to 2.83. That's about the limit on the mag. I only went up to 41gr. Powder was cruching, seems like a long bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts