newb help looking for advise

rpainter

I have always wanted to start reloading but the area is so vast I kinda get lost in all the info. But if I wanted to get started what is the basic things that I need to start ?? I will start with a .308,5.56 and maybe 25.06 and .204. So does the companies that sell kinda the complete kits worth it or not?? thanks Rob

I started with this 2 years ago ...

1.jpg

... and slowly followed by dies from Redding, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, RCBS handheld primer, Franklin caliper and tumbler, etc...

Good luck!

Ed

I started out years ago with the Lee Anniversary kit and it did a fine job. It Is pretty inexpensive and if purchased with "Modern Reloading" is pretty informative. I have long since upgraded but i made some really accurate loads with that equipment. It is also helpful if you can get someone to let you load a few rounds with them and get you started. You dont have to get the most expensive kit out there to make quality ammo, but you may want to upgrade some components as you get a better grasp.

Thanks guys I did not want to have to buy the best and most expensive in order to get good results. I am going to keep looking at the starter kits available. What is needed to be purchased oth r than the kit and the dies and holders??

I grew up with RCBS, love their presses. The rest of their stuf I hardly recognise anymore.

The most valuable thing you can buy will be a reloading manual like Hornady, Nosler etc. The most important part you can read will be the boring why, how and what sections in the front half of the manual.

There are lots of starter kits, now. I think most of the pres and die companies have kits. My brother in law got my dad/grandpa's set-up. I was short on cash, and did the Lee aniversary kit back when it was $75. I like it and use it still.

Now I'm dreaming about a Lyman kit. I think I will like it better has the case trimmer in the kit. I know I will still use the Lee, I think I just want another press on the bench.

Great place to get a great kit for a great price, classifieds, fine some widow selling her husband's whole bench for a few hundred, can't go far wrong, and probably have more do-dads than any starter kit.

Last edited:
I have done a little reading and think I am going to go with the RCBS supreme kit. Good choice or not?? I think I will have to buy a set of dies and a holder along with a case trimmer correct?? Anything else ?? Thanks Rob

For about ten bucks you can do the Lee trimmers. Untill you get into volume reloading. The 5.56 make my fingers hurt after a while! I like them because you can never trim off way too much, by accident or anything like that.

If you buy certain die sets they come with the shell holder. Yes. You will need a decent dial/digital 3 or 6 inch calipers, (I like Starett)

Last edited:
I just bought the Lee Challenger reloading kit from Midwayusa.com this week and loaded up my first 50 rounds of 25-06 yesterday. The kit is very simple and easy to use. For $89 it's a real bargain.

I second the Lee kit if your on a budget. It had everything you need minus the ammo components, tumbler, caliper, dies and a manual. My plan was to learn on this kit and upgrade equipment as a I see fit. The first upgrade will be a better scale. Good luck and be safe.

For starters, make sure the press is made of cast iron, and is at least an O frame design. That being said you still don't have to spend a ton of money. I use a Forster, and a small RCBS. I own a couple dozen shell holders, but actually only use two or three for reloading (plus a big handfull of Lee Autoprime shell holders). As long as your staying with 30-06 and smaller cases you can get by with most of the O frame presses, but if you are thinking bigger cases then you better be thinking bigger presses. Also buy a single stage press right from the start.

I don't really like kits all that well because half the stuff will be replaced in five hundred rounds. I'd pick out a press I liked (try several cause they don't all feel the same), and buy some good dies (RCBS, Forster or whatever). The best powder measurer for the money spent is the Lyman #55 without a doubt (and can be had cheap). I like electronic scales, but some folks like beam scales. Buy a good electronic scale if that's your interest (PACT). I use a Wilson case trimmer as well as a Lyman, and a Forster. The Lyman is used for 44mag and 45LC mostly, but the Forster will do everything you want with ease. I use two priming devices, but own several others. I like the priming device on the back of my Forster press better than all the rest but with two exceptions. The Sinclair is the best by ever so slightly, and the K&M is right behind it. Rest are paper weights.

Unless your one of those guys out there swapping bullets all the time, don't buy a seater with a micrometer head. I use them, but also use several different kinds of bullets. I'm one of the guys that will tell you there is no better seater than a Forster (threaded die), but a Redding is also a very good seater. I like Forster full length dies best due to the stem setup. Bushing dies are not really for the novice, but maybe after a year or so of reloading to get yourself comfortable

I also would buy the Hornaday case gauge and seating depth gauges. These little gems will save you a lot of headaches. Get yourself a good pair of calipers, and this is one place not to go cheap. I use a 4" Mitutoyo 98% of the time. Wether you go digital or analog is up to you. I'd avoid the Starretts as they can be a pain to rezero (analog), but their digital ones are nice (as well as the B&S and Fowlers). Down the road you may want to buy a pair of micrometers (1").
gary

I would recommend starting with an inexpensive kit, even if you will end up replacing a lot of it. But by then you will know better what features you like and dislike, and make a better-informed purchase for more money. It is cheaper to replace cheap equipment you don't really like than more expensive equipment you don't really like.

All we can tell you is what we like and why. Your budget, taste, and tolerance levels are certain to be different. And lots of users remain perfectly satisfied with the low price kits, and don't need to upgrade anything.

Andy

My Lee is the aluminum one. Sure it grunts and groans, I bought it for reloading 300WM. I don't see that it flexes any more than cast iron. I believe aluminum actually flexes less than cast iron. Now for realoading, a nice beafy cast iron press maybe the same or just less flex than my little aluminum one.

As far as the kits, you will find some of the kit items to be indespensible, that you will get with the press. Sure you will have many of the items replaced in time. Does a kit cost that much more than buying all of the items individually?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.