new zeiss rangefinder

i was at the harissburg show in pa last week and talked to one of the dealers who had one they said they will compete with the swarovski for around $650. lets hope so.

I just picked up the Zeiss 8X26 rangefinder. Only had it a few days around my place, but am very happy with it so far. I have gotten many reading in the 1400's of large objects like our barn, dam or tractor. Have only ranged cows so far, but with a steady hand it will pick up 1200yds with little effort (my hand was not that steady...., a rest was a must for me for cows past 800 Yds). I was surprised at how fast the readings came back, compared to the Bushnell 1500 I compared it to. It is very bright, clear and crisp. 1478Yds is the furthest it read.... a rocky hillside. So far I have yet to get a "no read" of a cow at less than 800 YDS (first range attempt in ideal conditions), passed that range the percentage of first attempt readings on cows started to drop off a little (maybe 80% 1st attempt) I don't know if this % error was caused by me and my unsteadiness or if I was up against its ranging limitations. I am very impressed and think it has worked very well at ranges of around 1000yds on "cow" sized game. Good luck in your choices. STC

It doesn't sound like it will range distances equivalent to the Swaro. Which is what I expected.

Broz- some of both....Sky line range of 886 YDS reported back first attempt, which should have taken out any question of a hillside reflection. It is supper fast when ranging a rock or hillside near your intended target.....but that is probably similar to any range finder. My experience is limited when it comes to using a good range finder; this is the best I have got my hands on. Stc

Broz- some of both....Sky line range of 886 YDS reported back first attempt, which should have taken out any question of a hillside reflection. It is supper fast when ranging a rock or hillside near your intended target.....but that is probably similar to any range finder. My experience is limited when it comes to using a good range finder; this is the best I have got my hands on. Stc

That does not sound all that bad. In my mind you just can't compare numbers unless you have all 3 lined up on bipods and ranging the same target on the same day with the same conditions. That is why I refuse to pick before doing this. I would keep using it and getting to know it better. That time spent will most likely pay off when you really need it.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.