New Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 rifle scope.

On top of the turret there is a flat head screw. If you back that out the whole way the turret will lift off the scope. Then you can move the zero stop to where you want it. You will see it once you remove the turret, it's pretty clear how it works once you get it apart.

gary

Can you just leave the turrets in the up position for making quick corrections at different ranges? or do you have to lock it back down every time you make a different correction?

BGG

Need help understanding the 16.5 MOA as this will be my first scope with turrets. I am thinking of the Rapid Z 1000 on the 5-25-50. I will be getting a 7mm-08 and hoping to shoot the Hornady 154 interbonds. Any idea how far it will allow me to shoot with the turret?

I am a novice with turret scopes. If I would remove the zero stop, how would I be able to locate the zero? I know on my sons AR-15 for service rifle matches, we count the clicks on the knob, say 40 from one side to the other. Then we stop at twenty and adjust a few to the left of center of the dial or to the right depending on our shooting data journals, wind condition, distance, bullet, etc. Turrets on a scope I have not yet used but feel they would let me be more accurate for smaller targets like groundhogs.

While I do not like the clutter in the scope, my thinking in getting the Rapid Z 1000 I could use the recticle for shots requiring a quicker shot when shooting at larger targets such as a deer.

Don't stress out, guys. You can have your zero stops and full adjustment on your favorite Zeiss scopes. I'll show you how. :) Look at the picture.

You guys can make your own "zero stop" by fitting a washer (shim) under the elevation turret itself. I look at the picture of the Zeiss HD5 turret. Turning the turret to the Left moves the point of impact "down" and the turret itself moves down toward the base of the scope.

First set your zero. Then grind the washer to the right thickness to "stop" the turret from moving further than your zero, thus making a "zero" stop. Then you can enjoy your beloved Zeiss optics and its full adjustment range.

I have done this with my Sightron SIII. It has similar turret design. I use nylon to make my washer because it is easy to grind, paint, and mark. Just find the right washer diameter for the turret stanchion then grind, grind, and grind. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• SIII Zero Stop.jpg
    SIII Zero Stop.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 486
Don't stress out, guys. You can have your zero stops and full adjustment on your favorite Zeiss scopes. I'll show you how. :) Look at the picture.

You guys can make your own "zero stop" by fitting a washer (shim) under the elevation turret itself. I look at the picture of the Zeiss HD5 turret. Turning the turret to the Left moves the point of impact "down" and the turret itself moves down toward the base of the scope.

First set your zero. Then grind the washer to the right thickness to "stop" the turret from moving further than your zero, thus making a "zero" stop. Then you can enjoy your beloved Zeiss optics and its full adjustment range.

I have done this with my Sightron SIII. It has similar turret design. I use nylon to make my washer because it is easy to grind, paint, and mark. Just find the right washer diameter for the turret stanchion then grind, grind, and grind. Enjoy. :)

So I guess you are sort of copying what Vortex does with their PST scopes. The PST scopes have a CRS (Customizable Rotational Stop) Zero Stop using their shims.

The glass is better then any NSX I've ever looked through .

German glass is hands down vastly superior to anything made in Japan and anything they can dream of., Although I would say the Conquest HD5 glass is probably not top of the line Euro glass, It is made on Romaina with Zeiss machinery, and Zeiss coating. Even the 2nd best German glass is going to be slightly superior to the BEST stuff from Japan (Nightforce etc)

I just got my 5-25x50 HD5 the other day, and I was blown way the the contrast, color and clarity. I have crap poor vision 20/40, macular Degeneration, glocoma etc, and I can tell the difference between this scope and my friends Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. His is clear and crisp even at 24x
I would say the Vortex is as clear, but not quite as bright nor as colorful and less contrast. daytime only comparison.

Is it worth the 50% $$$$ price jump (I bought a demo unit and paid a 21% price jump) over the PST? probably not, on average shooting paper or hunting deer in the open, it would not be worth the 50% price jump But if you hunt at long range, looking through the edge of a dark woods for game, then maybe yes.

The vortex comes with a sunshade, has illuminated rectile. and a 30mm tube and more adjustment and the zero stop work better on the PST.

I compared it at night with the scope it replaced (still in good working order) a Leupod VX-III 6.5-20x50 AO. After looking through the lupy then the Zeiss, I thought I was looking through night vision..

Bear in mind he lupy has 20 year old coating tech, and was a top notch scope for it's day, and has served me well. and NEVER failed me.

I took out the screw for the zero stop as like everyone here has said, only 16.5 moa adjustment .. with it out I had 67 MOA.

No one makes a sunshade for this scope, but low and behold the 2 inch sunshade from my Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50 worked almost perfect, screwed right in.. it was a just barely lose, The threads where the same but I would say only about 3/4 of the threads was inside the groves of the scope threads.. it would still tighten up fine, but backed out it was ever so slightly lose,, I took plumbers tape around the thread "one time" and screwed the shade on.. tight PERFECT fit.

I plan to buy a VX-III sunshade for it soon.

I just recieved my Zeiss HD5! I have 3 of the 6.5x20x50 really great scopes, BUT, Zeiss took this Conquest HD5 to the next level or even 2.

The clarity is unbelievable. I can **** near count the bolts holding the microwave thingies to the tower 720 yards away. It is a blue bird day here right now.
Now the Tx outfitter shouldn't get ****ed this year because I really didn't see that 3/8"brow last year. I swore it was cullbuck.

Great Optics! Thanks Zeiss and the guys at Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY too!

I just recieved my Zeiss HD5! I have 3 of the 6.5x20x50 really great scopes, BUT, Zeiss took this Conquest HD5 to the next level or even 2.

The clarity is unbelievable. I can **** near count the bolts holding the microwave thingies to the tower 720 yards away. It is a blue bird day here right now.
Now the Tx outfitter shouldn't get ****ed this year because I really didn't see that 3/8"brow last year. I swore it was cullbuck.

Great Optics! Thanks Zeiss and the guys at Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY too!

You should check it out at night time. last year I bought a Nikon 6-18x40mm and compared to it to my 1994 Leupold 6.5-20x50mm. both set on 18 power at night I could not tell the difference in brightness and clarity. I figured the 50mm would edge out the 40mm, but glass coating of today are a little better.
Now add the Zeiss 5-25x50 and it is HUGE improvement compared to the other two scopes. Esp at night time.

Like I said in the last post, my friend has a nice 6-24x50mm Vortex PST.
Every time he looks through my scope he says "WOW" and how much more clear it is than his scope. Even today at the range, he said the same thing.

I've looked through his scope, and I like it, even at 24x it is clear and sharp! it is just not as bright and colorful as the Zeiss.

I am not bashing the Vortex, it is worth much more than the $750, it has illuminated cross hairs (something the HD5 does not), it comes with a nice sunshade (the HD5 does not come with one).
The Zero stop I took off. (as it only has 16.5 moa with it on)I only have 10 MOA left on the bottom of scope setting anyways, after my 20 moa base, and 15 moa inserts on my Burris Signature rings.

if ur a zero stop junkie, then this is not the scope for ya. Personally I cam do without zero stop.

it's a hard pick between the PST and the HD5, for the money they are hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.