New Zealand Hunting

I just spoke to a friend who just came back yesterday from the South Island and he shot a big fallow and a very descent red stag on a large station that usually cater for US and foreign customers. Apparently they are fully booked for the next three roar seasons. At least by waiting 2022/ 2023, the antlers can only grow bigger :)

If NZ continues to be locked down the outfitters should protest the PM and with hope oust her. Most American hunters have gotten the two Covid shots and should be allowed into NZ without the quarantine period.
Beyond that, if my hunt is further delayed I will loose my deposit. Plus, I will book in another country. NZ, snooze....you loose. Not at all indifferent to the people of NZ. But, a great downturn in their economy is entirely possible. MTG

If NZ continues to be locked down the outfitters should protest the PM and with hope oust her. Most American hunters have gotten the two Covid shots and should be allowed into NZ without the quarantine period.
Beyond that, if my hunt is further delayed I will loose my deposit. Plus, I will book in another country. NZ, snooze....you loose. Not at all indifferent to the people of NZ. But, a great downturn in their economy is entirely possible. MTG
Our border caution is in the main supported by New Zealanders'. The Government has though recently released a plan for a gradual opening over the next 2 years. It will be easier to enter NZ when the boarders do open if you are fully vaccinated. In regards to our economy, it has survived the Covid impact very well and our unemployment is very low at 4 percent. We would welcome your US dollars though - albeit that our desire to keep Covid out is greater. :) Please do come and hunt here when you can - NZ certainly offers a unique hunting experience.

NZTahr, we, my wife and myself, both have had two Covid shots and plan to get the booster when available. Very much looking to return to NZ to hunt. Hoping that Gary Herbert NZ Hunting is at the SCI convention in Jan. 2022, or not, then our plans are up in the air. Who knows? Please be safe, hold your family close and pray that this pandemic does not get and worse. MTG

NZTahr, we, my wife and myself, both have had two Covid shots and plan to get the booster when available. Very much looking to return to NZ to hunt. Hoping that Gary Herbert NZ Hunting is at the SCI convention in Jan. 2022, or not, then our plans are up in the air. Who knows? Please be safe, hold your family close and pray that this pandemic does not get and worse. MTG
Thanks for this. Things can turn quickly - it was 2 days ago that I said that we had no Covid and now today the whole country is in lock down because a case has popped up in Auckland. Auckland is in LD for a week and the rest of the country for 3 days while they track the source and try to get on top of it. Fingers crossed. I hope that you do get here to hunt eventually.

Well, at least they are straight on it. Hopefully that pulls it up quickly.

I hope to hunt NZ sometime, even just a cull hunt. An opportunity to see NZ cull some pests and pursue some hunting.

I'm betting it won't be before 2023 at this point

For Kiwi's returning from NZ Gov't identified Red Zone countries (outbreaks not adequately controlled/managed), isolation facilities for returnees are on a booking system.
As rooms are freed up for the next group, the booking system is opened and as it is filled up, the system is shutdown.
The booking system gets overloaded and crashes leading to charges that there isn't enough spots available - lots of cry babies who could've returned much earlier, but chose to stay in the Red Zone countries (usually because the financial advantages outweigh the risk of catching the virus) and getting a fair amount of news time whinging about the system.

You are correct about the cry-babies. Could have come home ages ago, but they want to scurry back at the last minute. And opening up the border to Australia was bound to end in tears - and it has. Look at us now, over 100 cases and lock down for a couple more weeks probably. I'm gagging to get out for a hunt already and its only been a week.

@NZTahr
I got back from Perth 1 week before the Gov't 'burst' the Aus-NZ travel bubble.
One of our neighbour's got back from Queensland 4 hrs before the bubble burst.
6 1/2 weeks in Perth and the lockdown - no shooting for me and I'm burning the stored energy up cycling, Pilates (got my own instructor - SWMBO 😉 ;-).

Well I hope you boys get out soon. My wife is the Kiwi. We miss the fam very much. We will likely move back to the South Island at some point but she is still working here in the states and we don't know where the kids are gonna plant their roots yet. I think our little girl is gonna stay in NZ so it looks like we may have to to a 6 & 6 type thing. Just gotta get the tax banking thing sorted out.

I have had NZ on my bucket list for a hunt for many years. would like to know from anyone that has hunted NZ for some of their experiences. Would like to do a trip their in the future. I already have free air travel, all the hunting gear, just need a place to hunt.

Thanks
Len & Jill
We were scheduled to go last year but the pandemic stopped that. We're now scheduled for 22 and we've been very happy with Carla at N Z hunting. Here's her contact.
+64 21 221 6048

Scheduled to hunt with GH late July 2022. Have heard nothing good in response that NZ will be open to non residents any time soon. Do not want to rain on anyone's parade, but NZ has been closed. Plus, have little hope it will be open any time soon. Our trip has been scheduled since 2019. Our schedule to hunt was to come during my 75th birthday. Will know more during the 2022 SCI convention in LasVegas.
BTW, with hope all will come to fruition for all that have trips scheduled. MTG