New Zealand Alpine Game Animals At Long Range

Nice!!!
The 7mm Fatso, how accurate can it be with such a light set up?
Thanks for sharing! Nice pictures.

NZ Longranger
Enjoy your hunting stories and pics. You need to post more very interesting and steep! Is that a suppressor on your rifle and what make and model? I am very interested in one. Thanks IP

IP,
Its a supressor with external muzzle brake custom made for me by Robbie Tiffen of GunWorks in NZ: http://gunworks.co.nz
He's a great guy and prepared to listen to new ideas.
Without the brake, in cases of this large capacity there is a lot of rearward movement, making it hard to get back on target to watch the bullet strike. Like a rocket if you like, all that gas still has to come out that same front hole! The brake minimalises this rearward movement, is a ***** to shoot and is quiet, about like a 223 which ain't bad for a 180gn 7mm Berger doing just under 3400fps I reckon!

Eaglet,
Yea, acheiving accuracy with a gun as light as the Fatso can be challenging. Everything must be true and straight and then the shooter's got to be up to it too! With out the muzzle brake the Fatso was fairly violent off the bench, particularly when shooting the 180gn Bergers, but braked its no problem at all, just loud! It averages about .4" at 100 yards for 3 shot groups and 1/2 moa at 600 and 1000 yards with the 162gn A-Max load we settled on for the longrange work. This is off the fixed Harris bipod and hand under the butt rest we use in the field. But boy is it great to carry round our steep country! Its about to get even lighter now the load development work is completed as we're gonna replace the Nightforce with a lighter Leupold hunting scope. Ideally the new VX7 4.5-18x56L if they're available in time, but otherwise either Mark4 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 M1's. Then it'll weigh 7lbs all up in ready to go hunting mode, that'll be a joy to carry!
I'll write more on it soon.
Greg

Greg ,

must say , if mine shoots and looks as good as Jamies i'll be pretty happy , " Come on Richard with those 168ULD's " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brendan

many thanks for the story and pics. just great.

does anyone else feel like a beginner? i mean. "my drop chart starts at 800" i guess when you set up on the valley floor and shoot something up on those mountains, 800 might be a good starting point!

Awesome, absolutely awesome. Some of the finest terrain I have had the pleasure of seeing and **** excellent shooting to boot.

Keep it coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
many thanks for the story and pics. just great.

does anyone else feel like a beginner? i mean. "my drop chart starts at 800"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave,
Don't mean to sound like an expert, its just we usually use the walk about guns for the shots inside 800 yards. Weighing 20lbs, we only pull the black gun out for shots around 1000 yards plus. It was just young Ryan was a little small to shoot our light weight boomers, and the black gun is a ***** to shoot, you don't have to hold it.
Greg

Absolutely spectacular! What pics and a hunt! Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us.

Greg,

That was one of the best stories I've read in quite a long time and absolutely FANTASTIC photography.

It seems that you enjoy wonderful family, friends, and shooting equipment along with some spectacular places to hunt.

Good on you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

$bob$

well "a day late and a dollar short" but ive been away for a bit, just catching up on what ive missed.

outstanding story and NICE SHOOTN....look at the grin on Ryans face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great country! ]

Nice pix!

587162.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.