New Winchester / browning cartridge

Only time will tell. For me personally, right now there's only one high bc bullet that I would consider for a cartridge such as this. It's a 170 eol. So Winchester is going to need help from someone to supply them with some consistent high bc bullets for their factory ammo offerings. But I guess they didn't just randomly base the 2840 fps from an imaginary 175gr .277 bullet. They must already have a 175gr bullet they have been working with.

Last edited:
So I just saw where the factory ammo is:

Browning with a Sierra 175 gr tipped game king .617 g1 @ 2840fps.

Winchester 165 ablr .620 g1 @ 2970fps.

Not shabby.
Definitely a possible rival the 6.5 prc.

I plan on driving a 190 atip .838 g1 to somewhere between 2800 -2900 fps in a 7mm SS.

So this makes me wonder, other than Browning & Winchester which big rifle manufacturers will likely chamber the 6.8 Western. Since Hornady & Ruger work together, I figure it will be a while before Ruger chamber's for it. Savage seems to be fairly versatile in their chamberings & offerings. Who ever it was that bought Remington's 700 buisness would be wise to offer this cartridge along with several other of the newer cartridges. I think it's a step forward for the Winchester 70 production rifle. Obviously, Olin has ventured to capitalize on Nostalgic followers of the 270 win just as Nosler attempts to with the 27 Nosler. The question is: will the average 270 enthusiast anti up? The bulk of potential buyers that they need to make this cartridge gain popularity fast & hang around for years on end will want to buy a $350 rifle & ammo for less than $30 per box.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.