New Whelen sling...WOW !!!

NavyChief

I had grown dissatisfied with all the slings I normally use and wanted something that would help with some longer distance shooting from my climber in a sitting position. I did some research and eventually went back to Jack O'Connor's "The Hunting Rifle" (top 5 mandatory reading for all rifle cranks, in my humble opinion) and he flatly stated that the "Whelen sling is, for my money, neater, lighter, and more practical for a hunting rifle than any two-piece sling", p. 255.

I had no experience with a Whelen sling and my experience with the military slings left me wanting for something a little less cumbersome and with fewer parts that always seem to gouge and scratch up nice stocks. I had settled on a Claw sling for most rifles but it does little to help steady a rifle and I really like my leather Murray sling but it cost more than 100 bucks and is designated for a beautiful high dollar Model 70 and again, while a great carry strap, it does little to help get a rifle locked up tight for longer shots.

Finally found a Whelen sling, did a little more research, and couldn't be happier. I have yet to fire a shot but it flat out gets every rifle I have put it on locked up tight as a drum and I can hold steady at 300 yards across the field at a french drain cap from the sitting, standing or prone position.

I have been practicing taking it from carry to shooting and I am locked up tight in less than 5 seconds. Where has this thing been my whole life!!!!!!

Does anyone else have any experience with the Whelen?

Best things about it, one brass clasp on the outside so no ripped up AAA stocks, one continuous strip of leather, easy to adjust, and cost less than 30$ for a 100% leather sling with brass hardware. O'connor had it right back then and probably has it right today. I rarely shoot over 300 yards from a climber so it works great for me.

Why doesn't this sling get more attention? Is there something I don't know that will appear once I begin to use it in the field or is it just a good product that fell out of favor because it lost its shine to all the "New" materials and designs?

I have been using a whelen sling on my hunting rifles for years.......likely cause Jack told me to 45 years ago (I bought my first 270 for the same reason). Only issue that I ever had was insubstantial stocks that couldn't stand the side strain without bending into the barrel. Don't know if it ever touched the barrel hard enough to make any difference (likely not when shooting offhand at 300 or less) but it bothered me. They can put a lot of strain on the front sling mount but I've never had one fail.

In fact I am just in the process of rigging up a lightweight model 70 in 7x57 with a new old stock Weaver K2.5 and a whelen sling for hunting hogs at close range in the mesquite. Will be using the sling for the occasional longer shot.

Mountainman,
I love those old Weaver K series scopes. I have some of the newer K series but they just aren't the same, they have ended up on rimfires. I looked and looked for a new Weaver K4 to put on the Winchester Model 70, Jack O'Connor Custom Tribute I purchased about a year ago. I remember that Weaver made a special run of the older style scopes with the steel tube. I'm not sure but I think it only came out in a K4, which would have been fine with me for the JOC. I still haven't scoped it but if I do I will likely go with a Leupold fixed power in 4X or 6X. More than likely I will just sell the gun. I wasn't satisfied with it when it arrived so I sent it back to the custom shop and they did fix everything which included re-floating the barrel, fitting the steel buttplate and gripcap correctly, sanding and fitting the ebony forend properly, re-checkering the forend and refinishing the stock properly. Took months to finally complete but after 2 trips it is finally a work of art but to be honest, every time I look at it I just feel the frustration that came with the gun and I would just as soon sell it. I bought a pair of nice Model 70's featherweights in Grade III, a 270 Win and 30-06 SPRG, the pair cost me less than the JOC. I know I'll get my money back out of the JOC, just not sure how long I will have it before I do get my money back. I have seen a couple sell on Gunbroker for 2400$ and they didn't nearly have the figure wood that mine has so I can probably sell it whenever I want. I just hate to sell it after all I have been through with the gun.

I know it sounds a little ridiculous, I hate the gun for all the aggravation it has caused to get it right but I hate to part with it after spending so much time getting the gun right. I'll attach a couple of picks and maybe you can chime in and let me know if you think I can get my investment of 2400$ back.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_233010_210.jpg
    IMG_20140725_233010_210.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20140725_233339_044.jpg
    IMG_20140725_233339_044.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 189
That is a beautiful rifle! You won't have any trouble getting your money back out of that!

I have several used K4's and a couple with the fine crosshair I prefer. I also have a like new, steel tube, made in El Paso 4-12 variable. It is going on my pre-64 30-06 once I finish re-finishing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.