New Vortex Razor HD LHT VS Leupold VX5 HD

Can anyone talk about the two scopes in terms of dialing abilities? I have VX6 that is a great scope but the turrets are a bit mushy and you have to really pay attention while dialing to determine clicks. Are the VX5's better than the VX6 in terms of turrets?
No they both suck equally and don't track worth a crap. But in my not so humble opinion Vortex sucks too. Unfortunately it seems like if you don't spend $2500 or more these days its hard to find a reliable scope with good glass.

No they both suck equally and don't track worth a crap. But in my not so humble opinion Vortex sucks too. Unfortunately it seems like if you don't spend $2500 or more these days its hard to find a reliable scope with good glass.
Sounds like you've had some bad experiences. However, talking about brands as a whole makes no sense. Cheap stuff is cheap and I'd bet hit or miss.

I can only speak to the scopes that I've owned, but I know my Mk5 tracked 100%, my Gen 2 Razor tracked great on a 6.5CM shooting out to 1,400 yards, and my Razor LH tracked great on a 20" 308 shooting out to 1,000 yards. I've got an AMG on a 7mag that hasn't been shot or on a tracking board yet, so we'll see but I'm not worried about it.

you've owned both? I doubt it.

edit* apologies, you said you've owned the leupolds not the lht, very believable

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO they both track nicely. You won't get an additional $1,500 worth if you spend it. For a light weight 600 yard hunting gun either will easily fill the bill. The glass is decent on both. FWIW I did cut my teeth shooting in the 80s and 90s so even the stuff that "don't track worth crap" tracks pretty GD good these days and I can see holes in paper now where I could hardly see the paper back in the day. Maybe it depends on what you grew up with.

you've owned both? I doubt it.
20200314_144536.jpg

Oh really you doubt it? I have owned several of both and still own one Razor but just sold the last VX6 and VX5 and upgraded both to March Optics. Not sure why people get so butt hurt over someones opinion with experience of nearly every brand of scope made. I will say that I have not tried a MK5 but that's because I had bad luck with my other Leupolds. This is one of my two gun safes by the way.

Take a picture of the lht and I'll believe it

I don't care about your guns or your match scopes, I care about the specific scopes asked one of which had been on the market for what 3 entire weeks?

edit*
I misread your post you were saying you've owned both Vx5 and vx6 not the razor. I apologize for coming on strong. Thought you were saying the lht won't track without having ever owned one, something that's also quite common that grinds my gears. Removed the last sentence as it was inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a picture of the lht and I'll believe it

I don't care about your guns or your match scopes, I care about the specific scopes asked one of which had been on the market for what 3 entire weeks? I also don't care how many gun cases you own, or how many tires your bicycle uses
Well my apologies angry boy I have not and never will own the Razor LHT model but have owned several other Razors. I get it your a Vortex supporter but no need to be hostile because I have had bad luck with them and expressed my opinion.

Well my apologies angry boy I have not and never will own the Razor LHT model but have owned several other Razors. I get it your a Vortex supporter but no need to be hostile because I have had bad luck with them and expressed my opinion.
I apologized because of my misunderstanding. I got hostile because your reaction was to post how many guns you have like an *******. Have a great one and again sorry for coming on strong I shouldn't have done that.

Deviant, if you would give a little information as to why they suck I think most would accept it as helpful input from your experience rather than simple bashing. For instance what was the dialing error at 1,000 yards, did it not return to zero, etc. As you I have slowly up graded to higher end optics( March, ATACR) but I still have half a dozen VX-5 & 6's that work fine for what they are on and the ranges they shoot the error is acceptable.
To the OP I think it comes down to reticle choice, more option in the VX-5HD of which I am starting to like the impact 23 for reticle holds, but it has to be on 15x as it is 2nd focal plane.
some good deals out;

View attachment 187835
Oh really you doubt it? I have owned several of both and still own one Razor but just sold the last VX6 and VX5 and upgraded both to March Optics. Not sure why people get so butt hurt over someones opinion with experience of nearly every brand of scope made. I will say that I have not tried a MK5 but that's because I had bad luck with my other Leupolds. This is one of my two gun safes by the way.
Nice for sure.

Deviant, if you would give a little information as to why they suck I think most would accept it as helpful input from your experience rather than simple bashing. For instance what was the dialing error at 1,000 yards, did it not return to zero, etc. As you I have slowly up graded to higher end optics( March, ATACR) but I still have half a dozen VX-5 & 6's that work fine for what they are on and the ranges they shoot the error is acceptable.
To the OP I think it comes down to reticle choice, more option in the VX-5HD of which I am starting to like the impact 23 for reticle holds, but it has to be on 15x as it is 2nd focal plane.
some good deals out;
I do like the HSR-5i on the Razor & that is the way I'm leaning

In short the leupolds do not track correctly on the box test so they were not acceptable to shoot at 1000 yards and my last VX5 I could not get to hold zero which is a shame because I liked the glass better than the Razors and they are much lighter for my hunting rifles. The Razor to me is overpriced for the glass quality and the last one I had I could never get zeroed. I switched it out with a March and the gun shoots perfectly now. I also had premature finish ware on the vortex. The other one I never could get the parallax set and the scope focused at the same time and it also did not track as it should have. I can't remember how far it was off on a 100 yd box test now but it was more than I was comfortable with. As for posting pics of my guns on here I guess I thought that's what this forum was for but I guess it makes me an ******* instead. I come here for knowledge and honest opinions and to see ideas for new builds so I guess I thought others might too. Having a rough day at work so sorry if I offended anyone I'm just cranky today. The bottomline though is that if you can afford it the March 2.5-25 is a far better option on every aspect a d is light enough for a hunting scope. I like my ATACR's too but not if I am carrying the rifle far.

Thanks, Al

In short the leupolds do not track correctly on the box test so they were not acceptable to shoot at 1000 yards and my last VX5 I could not get to hold zero which is a shame because I liked the glass better than the Razors and they are much lighter for my hunting rifles. The Razor to me is overpriced for the glass quality and the last one I had I could never get zeroed. I switched it out with a March and the gun shoots perfectly now. I also had premature finish ware on the vortex. The other one I never could get the parallax set and the scope focused at the same time and it also did not track as it should have. I can't remember how far it was off on a 100 yd box test now but it was more than I was comfortable with. As for posting pics of my guns on here I guess I thought that's what this forum was for but I guess it makes me an ******* instead. I come here for knowledge and honest opinions and to see ideas for new builds so I guess I thought others might too. Having a rough day at work so sorry if I offended anyone I'm just cranky today. The bottomline though is that if you can afford it the March 2.5-25 is a far better option on every aspect a d is light enough for a hunting scope. I like my ATACR's too but not if I am carrying the rifle far.

Thanks, Al
Same here brother hope your day gets better. I know someone who is very fond of his Marches. I have been scared away by reports of extremely fussy parallax. Thanks for the extra info, were your leupolds the zl2 turret models?