New Video clips Defensive Edge

Thanks. It is too bad that the transfer from footage to website then down to the the downloader screws with the video quality so much. These are short clips from my long range hunting video the clarity is much better on the video. The bullet trace is much more vivid from the DVD. The bear video is the same one I wrote about here this last fall.

Shawn:

Great video clips and the new site looks super. I like the dialog between spotter and shooter and showing how easy it is to dial for a shot should open some eyes. Also, animals dropping on the spot just puts icing on the cake.;)

Looking forward to receiving the DVD. Should be some very interesting viewing.:)

Uphill WIND correction ???? How'd you do that?

Shawn,
Looking at your 1602 shot on the disk. How'd you calculate the LIFT from the uphill wind?

I'll buy your video if you tell me... and even if you don't tell me... especially if you show how to do this on the video...:D

Pstimac,

When I looked for wind correction I made my best estimate for cross wind just like normal and applyed it to the windage. Then I looked at the terrain and figured that the entire shot would be effected by the wind blowing up the face of the canyon we were shooting across. This face was fairly steep maybe 30 degrees or so. I looked at my wind drift numbers for that distance and figureed a 30 degree wind was worth 1/4 value that gave me 2.00 moa I backed the elevation down that far. As you could see in the video I missed the first shot by 1/2 moa right and high 1/2 moa. I had dialed a little too much windage and not backed the elevation down quite enough. A quick correction from Jr. tuned that right up. Not that I'd have ever taken a shot in conditions like that at that distance at a game animal it would have easly been a good shot on a deer if you were shooting at the crease. I hope that explains it clear enough. That is the clip I use to demonstrate the wind effecting the elevation in the video.

I hope this is not a dumb question. But looking at where you are and where the bear is how do you mark where he was when you shot. Does one person stay on a spotting scope and guide you in?

That is a huge reason to always have a spotter. Spotter, spotting scope and a couple of radios help alot. I have done the same by myself by putting a ribbon I can see up at the shooting position and picking a land mark to line up with. The big key when going it alone is to settle down and take in all the things that will help guide you toward the shot impact site before you leave. I have had to go back to get a second look before. I have even reviewed the video to make sure where I was. Bears are famous for not leaving a good blood trail if any sometime no matter how well you hit them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.