New varmint rifle build?

I have a 22-250 with a 1-7.5 twist barrel that for shots inside 400 yards I use 55 Amax (still have them) and for anything out to 1000 yards I'm using 75 ELD's. I'm loading the 75's to just under 3300 fps, as the 22-259 can be loaded to 65000 I have room to go as I'm around 61000.

For P. Dogs the 220 Swift is very good cartridge and just about any 55gr. varmint bullet will be fairly explosive. The heavier varmint bullets will require a faster twist barrel. You said you didn't mind a wildcat
so if you want to really get down, a .22 CHeetah (.308 necked down to .22 cal. with a 40 deg. shoulder & small rifle primer) with a faster twist barrel will send the 60 gr. + bullets screaming down range with minimal barrel erosion and some impressive velocities and ranges. My McGowan 1:14 will launch 55 gr. bullets over 4000 fps and much like a laser! My favorite bullet is the Sierra 40 gr. SP Hornet bullet that's not supposed to be launched at more than 2500 fps. Mine are going in excess of 4300 fps! The tips are melting (I've seen lead curliecues on targets before) and they will literally explode on anything they hit? I certainly love mine, although from shooting too many rounds it's now in need of a new barrel. It's on my list of things I need to do!
Cheers,
crkckr

For P. Dogs the 220 Swift is very good cartridge and just about any 55gr. varmint bullet will be fairly explosive. The heavier varmint bullets will require a faster twist barrel. You said you didn't mind a wildcat
so if you want to really get down, a .22 CHeetah (.308 necked down to .22 cal. with a 40 deg. shoulder & small rifle primer) with a faster twist barrel will send the 60 gr. + bullets screaming down range with minimal barrel erosion and some impressive velocities and ranges. My McGowan 1:14 will launch 55 gr. bullets over 4000 fps and much like a laser! My favorite bullet is the Sierra 40 gr. SP Hornet bullet that's not supposed to be launched at more than 2500 fps. Mine are going in excess of 4300 fps! The tips are melting (I've seen lead curliecues on targets before) and they will literally explode on anything they hit? I certainly love mine, although from shooting too many rounds it's now in need of a new barrel. It's on my list of things I need to do!
Cheers,
crkckr

I agree with 204 ruger..love that round. Low recoil high velocity..bad prairie dog medicine.
I've reloaded mine with Hammers...waiting fir the chance to use. Was using factory hornady ballistics with amazing results

Just to muddy the water, but my 243AI shoots lights out for a 6. I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned the 220 Swift as long as there has been mention of a variety of .224 caliber offerings. Just sayin'
The .220 Swift IMHO is still the most since able and king of the .22's. Bought a Ruger 77V in 1977 still have the rifle, Monstrous on yotes in my loads with the 55gr V-Max.....JMHO

The .220 Swift IMHO is still the most since able and king of the .22's. Bought a Ruger 77V in 1977 still have the rifle, Monstrous on yotes in my loads with the 55gr V-Max.....JMHO
And if you want a real Wildcat in 6mm, think about Ross Seyfried's 6mm Mach IV. I have everything but the barrel for my project "Wew the dies were high" and plenty of 7mm RM brass to neck down, but will finish it soon.... with the good Lord willing...

I had a 6br built this spring for groundhogs and to really practice long range shooting. This was at the strong behest of my rifle builder, i originally had a 6mm creedmoor in mind.

Im having a great time with it, i got my personal best at 607yds with it and a few more in the 500s. The only bad part is it doesnt deliver the splatter effect at longer ranges.

Also it offers a good balance of barrel life and velocity. He(rifle builder) claims kills out to 1000 but i dont currently have any fields to hunt where i can go that long

I am really partial to the 22-250. I have two, a Browning 78 single shot that will shoot into one hole at 250 yards with almost any 52-55 grain varmint bullet and a custom Ruger 77 with a 1:8 twist that is consistently shooting under .250 at a hundred with 70 grain Berger VLD's. I have never been disappointed with the red spray using this cartridge. Good reloadable brass is very available along with a bunch of great powder and bullets. Most 22-250's are very easy to load for and have a reputation for being very, very accurate.
Good barrel life with the 22-250 and I have heard that newer barrel material has allowed the 220 Swift to live a longer life.
My concern with the anything larger than .22 caliber is the likelihood of ricochets. The larger caliber bullets are not as frangible as the .22 caliber bullets, which are not as frangible as the .204 bullets, which are not as frangible as the .17's.
Once again, opinions are like what we use everyday and everyone has one. This is mine.

morning, 243AI-6mmAI or 22-250AI. I have all 3
243-6mm shoot the 95gr. Berger VLD thru bug holes.
the 22 I am still working on, TX. too hot for
shooting. I have 3 22-250's. very easy loading.
53grTSX barnes. justme gbot tum

243 with a 7 or 8 twist is great but i dont think you'd want to spend a day shooting PDs with it unless it was a heavy gun. If i had the choice I'd go with 22-250 in a 7 twist to shoot the 88 to 95 grain stuff. The velocity slowdown with the heavies wouldnt be a barrel burner. The BCs are good too. Not as great as the 6mms but close. Ive never worried much about drop in a varmint rifle because drop is a constant that can easily be compensated for. Look for recoil, longevity and B.C. My current rig is a screaming 22-6mm that loves Nosler ballistic tips.

I have a 22-250 with a 1-7.5 twist barrel that for shots inside 400 yards I use 55 Amax (still have them) and for anything out to 1000 yards I'm using 75 ELD's. I'm loading the 75's to just under 3300 fps, as the 22-259 can be loaded to 65000 I have room to go as I'm around 61000.
Yes, but at that speed, you can run a 223. I run a 75 gr amex at 3000 in a 24" ar15, cheep to shoot.

You also should think of a 22-250ai. Just becouse you have a large case, does not mean you have to run at top speed, run at lower speed for closer shots to say 400 yards, then have heavy loads for beyond that.

Like some have said don't overlook the .223.
I poo-pood this cartridge for a long time. I just got done having a .223 trainer built and am just setting up and breaking in some loads. Man it is fun to shoot, stupid accurate, cheap and components everywhere!
Just Saying...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts