New varmint rifle build?

ok I want to build a varmint rifle that will work well for long range shots. It will be mostly prairie dog shooting so I want to use a good high bc carmint bullet and want a pretty decent velocity, but barrel life is kind of important. I'm going to proably build off a big horn origin action ag composite stock trigger tech trigger but need to figure out what cartridge to go with. I want good brass available that will last, i do reload so wild cats will be considered.
I have a a 6mm creed and a 243 - can't go wrong with either one. If you want more barrel life go 260AI.

I am not sure this will be in line with your desires but if I could only have one prairie dog rifle it would be a 204 Ruger. You will not be able to build a .378 bolt head rifle for what you can find a Cooper M21 for and it will shoot with the best you can build.

I guess I'll see what happens I was hoping for more information on the 6x47 and 6-250ai. The reason for actual varmint bullets is to keep shooting a little more affordable and more explosive results. I have shot prairie dogs with a 22-243 with 75g amaxes at 3500 and they aren't very impressive on a prairie dog and there is no good bullet in .224 for varmints in my eyes that I know of that has a good bc. I ha e thought about the 6x47, 6-250ai, and a 243ai with like a 87vmax or something along them lines.

I have shot dogs with fast 6s but 39s or 32s out of a 20cal are far more explosive.
They are awesome out to about 400 yards, then they lose steam quickly and the wind has her with them. I just sold a 204 ruger and bought a 6mm creed for a varmint coyote gun - best thing I ever did.

I go for the old standards: 22-250 on any action with a fine trigger, stock and great barrel. Mine is a Browning 1885 High Wall.

I really like the 87gr v-max in my 6mm/284. The 6mm creedmoor would be a better choice for barrel life but I don't care.
I also shoot a 6mm284W with 87 gr V max. After barreling with a Lilja 30", first 100 yd group, with old reloads, was .19". 220 Swift is my favorite with 204R a close second.

IF you dont own a 223 cal I would go with the 224 valkery ( spelling ).
Less chance of getting ammo mixed up. Don't ask me how I know this.
Ha ha ha. Caught it right before I loaded the shell. Man oh man. Marty

I guess I'll see what happens I was hoping for more information on the 6x47 and 6-250ai. The reason for actual varmint bullets is to keep shooting a little more affordable and more explosive results. I have shot prairie dogs with a 22-243 with 75g amaxes at 3500 and they aren't very impressive on a prairie dog and there is no good bullet in .224 for varmints in my eyes that I know of that has a good bc. I ha e thought about the 6x47, 6-250ai, and a 243ai with like a 87vmax or something along them lines.

First, stay away from the 6-250AI, terrible case. They do not form well or last long.
I built one for shooting Varmint Silo, barrel lasted about 600 rounds before I started getting flyers.

If you build one, I have forming dies I will be happy to get rid of cheap, lol

The 6x47 is a great round.

Have you thought about a 6Dasher, I have three of them and they work.

With a fast twist barrel and VLD style bullets, you can't run them over 3150fps, so having a big case like a 243 or 6Rem does you no good.

And Target bullets on varmints are not a good mix, they just punch holes.

For mostly P. dogs the .204 ruger is hard to beat! And I have lost count of the number of coyotes I've shot with the 39gr sierra. Could tight twist it and shoot heavier for long distance also. For long range coyotes I like my 9 twist 20-250 shooting 52 unmussig but don't plan on long barrel life. Still like my 22-243's also! Always nice to have lots of choices. LOL! Build 2!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.