New universal wrench šŸ¤£

Calvin45

ā€¦

Attachments

• 5E8258D9-C8FA-42C0-8C34-3EFD608949A1.png
    5E8258D9-C8FA-42C0-8C34-3EFD608949A1.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 203
I'm curious to know what people from different areas call this wrench. I know that the usual name in my area is that it is called a Crescent Wrench.
I have heard them called an All-Sixteenths and a thumb wrench though.
I am talking about the regular wrench with one side.

My grandfather called his an adjustable hammer. It slipped once on a large bolt on the plow he was pulling and in a fit of rage he chunked it, not aware of his surroundings, he straightened right up when he heard the sound of breaking glass. Me and my cousin just walked away. He didn't say anything until we left to go to lunch and then it was "the AC doesn't seem to be working very good today".

My grandfather called his an adjustable hammer. It slipped once on a large bolt on the plow he was pulling and in a fit of rage he chunked it, not aware of his surroundings, he straightened right up when he heard the sound of breaking glass. Me and my cousin just walked away. He didn't say anything until we left to go to lunch and then it was "the AC doesn't seem to be working very good today".
Hahahhahaha.

This reminds me a lot of a childhood memory. My dad and uncle were working as fast as they could to repair a combine during harvest, and didn't know I was outside and could hear themā€¦.

Later that night my mom heard me in my bedroom saying just about every curse word one can imagine

She bursts into my room. "What is going on here, why are you saying those horrible words?"

The 8 year old me calmly looks at her and says

"I'm practicing being a farmer!"

The wonderful people from Newfoundland call it a Thumb wrench. Thumb is pronounced "tum" and there is a little of the "o" sound from the word tomb mixed in there. I think they call it this because you can adjust the wrench with your thumb and/or break your thumb with the wrench.

One mechanic I worked with also called it a rounder.

Some further related humour

@asd9055 Swedish wrench reminds me of the old generation where I grew up referring to a toque or furry hat as a "Ukrainian block heater" šŸ¤£. Mostly Ukrainians saying that haha.

Saskatchewan apparently has the most people of Ukrainian descent outside Ukraine, or so I've heard recently. That and German speaking Mennonites from Siberia who fled Stalin's Russia (that's my own ancestry back in the day). Heck I've even seen A legit cookbook titled "Germans from Siberia living in Saskatchewan" or something like that haha

Attachments

• 59A6C7A1-3C77-4078-9C58-4EB9C7564DED.png
    59A6C7A1-3C77-4078-9C58-4EB9C7564DED.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 56
curious to know what people from different areas call this wrench. I know that the usual name in my area is that it is called a Crescent Wrench.
I have heard them called an All-Sixteenths and a thumb wrench though.
I am talking about the regular wrench with one side.

In the stage production/tech world it is known as a 'C-wrench' (very creative, I know).

I seldom use one after discovering the German 'pliers-wrench', which was designed specifically to have parallel jaws and NOT be a 'rounder' (that's a good description of what a Crescent Wrench does to bolt heads in the hands of the inexperienced... And sometimes even the experienced)