New ultra light rig parts

The Hawkins bdl floorplate is aluminum and really light. I'd have to weigh one but I don't think it's more than a couple oz if I remember right. As far as I know that's the lightest strong option if you wand a bdl style floorplate

The Hawkins bdl floorplate is aluminum and really light. I'd have to weigh one but I don't think it's more than a couple oz if I remember right. As far as I know that's the lightest strong option if you wand a bdl style floorplate

The anodized Hawkins LA BDL bottom metal weighs in at 2.68oz

The Wyatt's 300 PRC kit (MBE-3, extended follower and spring) weighs in at 2.64oz

I am a die hard sheep/mountain hunter and have been carrying "light" rifles for several decades. When possible I always use a blind mag for all the reasons already mentioned above, but there is such a thing as too light. For me the final hunting weight (rifle, rings & bases, scope, sling and full magazine) is between 6.5 and 7.5 lbs. This is for me, but your ideal weight may differ. The calibers I shoot start with a 300 RUM and go down and yes almost all of my rifles have muzzle brakes. Good luck on your project.

That's a great read but I'm not sure I buy into all of that article.
I know of a lot of large calibers running ti actions with no big issues. Pierce even has a lapua improved running on the third barrel. I know it is usually a give and take but I would wonder what the real weight between the actions is. 2.5 ounces seems like they are either leaving the bolt out or just comparing to heavier ti actions which most run steel bolts.

Weight is something that is easy to calculate on a spreadsheet But something I didnt properly appreciate until I messed it up, was balance. The heaviest of my lightweight rifles comes in at just under 7 pounds before scope. It has a 22oz stock and a #4 fluted barrel. The flutes were supposed to be deep and finished 2" from the end, instead they were shallow and ended 4" from the muzzle. End result is barrel heavy and while very accurate and great to shoot from a prone position, it sucks off hand and some improvised positions. I'll be switching stocks and rebalancing the rifle.

But from what I learned on that rifle, I watched my specs more closely and my most recent build is 6.4pounds before scope and it balances beautifully. It is much easier to control recoil and generally acts and shoots like a heavier gun, in all the good ways. But still carrys like a light rifle.

I think the article refers to the Razor Ti action vs the lightest from Defiance, that is 2 oz difference. Razor actions use a non Ti bolt. I've been told by 2 reputable gunsmiths to stay away from Ti actions with Ti bolt. I just can't remember why right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts