New tool ...

Fitch

I have been wanting to take a picture or two of the inside of a bore now and then. My buddy has a Hawkeye Borescope. Yesterday I made a camera adaptor for it.

CameraAdaptor-3-C-RS.jpg

Today I made a sled to mount the camera on so it wouldn't have a chance to slip and damage the fragile borescope. The camera is a Nikon 990. It works best in telephoto mode at 4X which reduced the picture quality a bit. This is only a 3.4MP camera, but I think it will work well enough for bore pictures.

Finished-2-C-RS.jpg

Then I took this picture of one of the reasons my Savage .243 shoots such big groups:

6inchesfrommuzzle-2.jpg

This is typical of an annular file reigon located about 6" from the muzzle and about 4" long. This isn't the only place but it is the worst. Most of the lands have the deep chatter marks on them.

Fitch

Wow. I can't tell the land from the groove, but they both look a ridge reamer was run in there at too fast of a pace. That thing must copper strip to beat the band.

Good idea and nice slide for the camera. Bore not so nice, what do you think your going to do...rebarrel or what?

Good idea and nice slide for the camera. Bore not so nice, what do you think your going to do...rebarrel or what?

I should have made it clear, I already rebarreled it last winter. I'd seen this mess before in the borescope, in fact my buddy the gunsmith bought the borescope so we could look at this barrel. But wasn't able to take a picture of it till I made this adaptor. Hard to describe it in words that will give the full impact of it. I saved the barrel to take this picture. Savage turns out some real shooters, alas, this wasn't one of them!

Since then the bore scope has gotten really good use in his business. It really helps when you can show folks what the problem is. We want pictures and the ability to hook it to a TV so the customers can see it with their own eyes. It's hard to tell folks what to look for but narrating it on a TV or computer screen works great. We are almost there.

I want to get some pictures of the throats and crowns in all my rifles before I give the borescope back. He's bringing over a .300RUM late this afternoon so we can get some pictures of the throat in it. The chambers on those UM's seem to wear out in remarkably few rounds.

Fitch

I've seen bore scope videos before and they are pretty neat. Sounds like you and your smith are almost there. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.