new to this web sight, need scope help please

mmiedema

hello. This is the first question I have posted so lets see how this works. I just bought a sako finnlight a week ago for my upcoming elk and moose hunt. Now I need help deciding what scope to get. I want something good but not willing to spend the 1500 buck for a swarovski. Looking at a leupold with boone and crockett, zeiss conquest, and burris signature as well as nikon monarch. Any insight or experience would be appreciated very much. Thank you

Killzone,

Welcome to LRH!!

Personally I would choose a leu first for a big game stalking rifle, then a Burris. I will be honest, I have never used the Zeiss scopes much as I was never really left looking for more with a top end Leu or Burris. Nikons are great scopes but I like the ruggedness of the Leu and Burris for my light weight big game rifles.

With the rifle you discribe I suspect you will not be taking shots past 400 yards to often. I would recommend something in the 3.5-10 range, 3-9 would work as would 4.5-14 or something in that range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
hello. This is the first question I have posted so lets see how this works. I just bought a sako finnlight a week ago for my upcoming elk and moose hunt. Now I need help deciding what scope to get. I want something good but not willing to spend the 1500 buck for a swarovski. Looking at a leupold with boone and crockett, zeiss conquest, and burris signature as well as nikon monarch. Any insight or experience would be appreciated very much. Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about what type of mounts your going to use? I posted a question back in Feburary? and received some good information. Maybe do a search for Sako 75 in the optics forum.

I will agree With fifty on this one. I have never owned a leupy but have the Burris. I have a black diamond series and the glass is great and tough as nails. Burris offers a balistic mil dot which you may like also if you like the boone and crocket. The Zeiss optics are very nice but I can't comment on their ruggedness. Welcome to the forum as well!!

I have used both the Leupolds and the Zeiss Conquest. The top end Leupolds and the Conquest are both excellent scopes. You can't go wrong with either. I would suggest going to a dealer of both so you can compare the two side by side.

One thing I will point out is that the light gathering capability of the 44mm Zeiss is = to or better than the 50mm obj 30mm tube Leupold. I have looked through both side by side @ dusk. You may be able to get just as much twilight time with a smaller, lighter scope if you go with the Zeiss.

Either way, you won't be looking to upgrade for awhile.

Hi Killzone,
One bit of advice you might want to consider is this, make sure you get a scope with plenty of eye relief. You did not say what cal. your finnlite is but a buddy of mine has one in 30-06 topped with a 3-9 Schimdt,on touching of the first round in this new rig it wacked him nicely above the right eye causing him to bleed profusely. This gun now sits in his safe awaiting a scope with longer eye relief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ian.

Just to emphasize a point, every one is suggesting scopes that have a fairly low end magnification, which is important to give a good field of veiw for close in work so you can get on target quickly. It is really easy to get carried away with the thoughts of lots of magnification and wind up having too much magnification at the bottom. I have a Burris 3X9 on a Ruger 10-22 and it is just too much low end magnification for forest hunting of small game.

Depending on what cartridge you are shooting and your preferences and experience the Burris ballistic plex tends to make life simple out to a reasonable distance after which life is really complicated anyway. I have one on a muzzleloader and like it. Distance estimation is still the critical component and the reticle does not solve that.

I also have a Leupold 3.5X 10 Var III with multiplex and it is a good scope and like the Burris you get what you pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.