new to the site looking for some help

bassinhunter

OK first off I'm new to the site. My name is robert and I'm from nm. Got a question and I'm hoping some of you could help. I have a Remington 7mm mag rifle that has a 3x9x40 leupold vxi scope mounted on it. I'm wanting to but a scope with a bdc reticle on it or a scope with marks for different aim points. My options are take that scope off, send it to leupold and have them install a custom bdc reticle for my loads and be done, or I can buy a new scope with a bdc. Is the leupold enough scope at 3x9 out to 300 400 and 500 yards? Id like to get some opinions about which scopes work best with what loads for a 7mm mag. Does anyone have experience with different scopes and what loads work well with the scopes reticle? This whole thing came about because I installed a leupold ultimate slam scope with a bdc on my tc omega and with 250 grain hornady sst ammo the hold points are right on. I took a bull elk at 327 yards with that setup in Oct. I'm hoping someone will have similar info for my 7mm mag.

Thanks,

Robert

Welcome.
For the ranges you are talking about I would go with a 4-16 rather than the 3-9.
Check out the Vortex Viper. You could get the exposed turret model and they will make you custom turrets so you range it, turn the turrets and shoot. Not real expensive either.

OK first off I'm new to the site. My name is robert and I'm from nm. Got a question and I'm hoping some of you could help. I have a Remington 7mm mag rifle that has a 3x9x40 leupold vxi scope mounted on it. I'm wanting to but a scope with a bdc reticle on it or a scope with marks for different aim points. My options are take that scope off, send it to leupold and have them install a custom bdc reticle for my loads and be done, or I can buy a new scope with a bdc. Is the leupold enough scope at 3x9 out to 300 400 and 500 yards? Id like to get some opinions about which scopes work best with what loads for a 7mm mag. Does anyone have experience with different scopes and what loads work well with the scopes reticle? This whole thing came about because I installed a leupold ultimate slam scope with a bdc on my tc omega and with 250 grain hornady sst ammo the hold points are right on. I took a bull elk at 327 yards with that setup in Oct. I'm hoping someone will have similar info for my 7mm mag.

Thanks,

Robert
Welcome Robert. Where in NM? I grew up east of Clovis and my family first settled in NM in the 1880's.

My advice would be to sell it and replace it with a VXIII 3.5-10x50 or 4.5-14x50 with either target or M-1 Turrets, or a custom turret.

You'll be set for life them.

The 40mm tubes really limit you on low light shooting and of course that's when shooting is most critical.

The other option would be to sell it and get a Vortex Viper PST EBR-1 MRAD which is a fantastic scope for the money. I'd easily rate it with the VXII's at a better price point.

Small world wild rose! I'm in Albuquerque nm but I've pheasant hunted Clovis quite a bit when I was younger, and before I found Oklahoma lol. Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't think the leupold was gonna be enough. Anyone have experience with the Nikon monarch and the bdc?

From what I have heard and read the Nikons are a decent scope for the money. If you want to venture into real long range hunting though, forget about the BDCs. Dont get me wrong... they work. The mill or MOA system works much better though. Get a scope with a mill or moa reticule, and have a matching turret, as well as parallax adjustment (though not as crucial).
The Viper PST's are a phenominal buy for the $$'s. I have a 2.5-10x44 EBR MAO and I love it. I am acually taking it off my .243 win and puting it on my .338 RUM for bear season. If its holds up, I may say my leupold Mark 4 and buy another PST (though it will be 4-16x50 EBR MOA).
My plain jane .243 win with the above scope has got me shoting some pretty decent groups, at least for what the combo is, to 820 yards.

Yep it is. I was actually born in OKC! HA!gun)

The best advice I can give you is be patient and save your money. Figure out what the max you can afford to spend on a scope, save it up, the save for another month or so and get the best quality glass you can afford.

It'll cost you a few hundred to move up in class but trust me, it's really worth it.

Years ago a gunshop owner friend of mint told me to be willing to spend 100-150% of the cost of the bare rifle on glass otherwise even a really nice stick is just a club at range.

Of course we weren't buying 2,000.00 plus custom rigs back the either LOL

Welcome aboard.

BTW I've got a nice 6.5-20x50 BDC Vortex Viper I'm selling right now that I could sell worth the money so if you decide to go that direction hollar at me in the next 5 days. I've got it on Ebay already and it has 6 days to run.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.