New to the hobby and looking for help?

Bang4theBuck

I've considered making this post for quite a while and just never got around to it. I have mentored a dozen or so friends and family members, and I have really enjoyed it.. While I am not an encyclopedia of information about long range shooting, we have also seen a very high level of success. Some of the things that we've been good at:
1. Utilizing equipment that people already own and making changes to it where necessary to get out and get started shooting.
2. Helping to make selections on new rifle/scope/equipment purchases to fit any style, goals, or budget.
3. How to make a buying decision for something that you can build off of as time and funds permit.
4. How to get started reloading.
5. How to make a good cartridge selection for what you want to do.
6. How to develop a load for hunting or target shooting.
7. How to track/log valuable data regarding your loads and shooting sessions.

This is not a solicitation for any sort of compensation, or anything of the sort. I just enjoy getting people into the sport and seeing them succeed. It also occupies time that I might otherwise be spending on the classified section, thereby saving me money!

I've helped a couple of guys on this forum already via phone, zoom, FaceTime, duo and every other type of technology, so distance is no barrier. I'm sure these guys would attest that it has worked out for them, if you wanted a couple of references. Just throwing it out there. Reach out if you're interested.

What guys new to this (or most anything) need to be more successful is a good mentor. One in person is better but just giving unbiased advice can be very helpful. I also challenge new LR shooters to not just take my word as gospel, but to trust but verify. I'm not trying to stroke my ego by helping, I just want you to get better. I don't take everything any particular person puts out as 100% correct. Put in the time to do your own research & shooting and find what works best for you.
That and all too often guys try to buy their way into it. If they want to upgrade that's fine, nothing against it as your money is your money. Learn to use what you have and when your capability outperforms that of your equipment, then it's time to upgrade. If I went and bought a new Corvette Z06 it wouldn't make me the best driver on the road…probably the exact opposite!😁

Yes to all of this.

I have a Rem700 that's basically factory and is one of the most repeatable and precise rifles I've owned. Out of the box it shot great but I wanted more so it got a better stock and trigger. It's scary how good it is. Have another that needed a barrel swap and is just as amazing. I also have some full blown customs that I built because I wanted everything exactly as I wanted without compromising. You can spend a little, or a lot, but what you're going to get the most improvement from is practice and learning your rifle and what it likes to eat.

What guys new to this (or most anything) need to be more successful is a good mentor. One in person is better but just giving unbiased advice can be very helpful. I also challenge new LR shooters to not just take my word as gospel, but to trust but verify. I'm not trying to stroke my ego by helping, I just want you to get better. I don't take everything any particular person puts out as 100% correct. Put in the time to do your own research & shooting and find what works best for you.
That and all too often guys try to buy their way into it. If they want to upgrade that's fine, nothing against it as your money is your money. Learn to use what you have and when your capability outperforms that of your equipment, then it's time to upgrade. If I went and bought a new Corvette Z06 it wouldn't make me the best driver on the road…probably the exact opposite!😁
Great advice Bravo, with me being new(ish) to this I want to learn as much as I can, and keep on progressing with my skills. Ultimately I would like to be a good resource in this area of shooting and I am wondering, do you have or recommend any particular sources of info and data that would help? The people who make up this community are fantastic and have taught me so much to begin with, but I am looking for more. Any ideas where to start? Thanks again!

Wait till next year for the Zo6 it looks great HaHaHa

Pretty easy fellas, just PIF whenever you can. Knowledge whether reloading or shooting, extra gear that is gathering dust, reloading equipment that you "graduated" from, extra brass, bullets and even older optics in boxes on shelf in basement. I have always looked at the PIF as also recruitment and sustainment of our activity. The more we can get "addicted"😂, the better off we will be in the future.