New to the game

Just think, once you finally decide on a rifle. You'll get to start searching for a quality optic. If $1000 is your limit then I'd suggest that savage 111 for $400 and spend the rest on quality glass. IMHO the optic is the most important piece of the puzzle for effective LRH/shooting.

Is 30-06 a caliber I could stick with or would that be something to change?

If I should change I am assuming I would have to stick with long action. What long action calibers would be good? (I would have to change barrel and bolt face, anything else?)

If I should change I am assuming I would have to stick with long action. What long action calibers would be good? (I would have to change barrel and bolt face, anything else?)

Your choice on cartridge selection. Your action length and bolt face will only support a list of options without additional work. Here is a partial list of options for action length and bolt face diameter. Changes outside each category are not possible or usually cost many more $s than necessary to convert. Pick an action and bolt and stick with it.

Short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .470 +/-
225 Winchester
22/250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
243 Winchester
250 Savage
260 Remington
6.5/284 Norma
7/08 Remington
284 Winchester
300 Savage
308 Winchester
338 Federal
35 Remington
358 Winchester

Short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540+/-
223 WSSM
243 WSSM
25 WSSM
7mm Remington saum
7mm WSM
300 Remington saum,
300 WSM
325 WSM
350 Remington Mag.

Long actions with a bolt face .DIA of .470 +/-
220 Swift
6mm Remington
240 Weatherby Mag
257 Roberts
25-06 Remington
6.5x55 Swedish
6.5 X 284 Winchester
270 Winchester
7x57 Mauser
7x64 Brenneke
280 Remington
30/06 Springfield
8mm Mauser
338/06 A Square
35 Whelen

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-257 Weatherby
264 Win Mag
270 weatherby Mag
7mm Remington Mag
7mm Weatherby Mag
7 STW
7mm Remington Ultra Mag
300 H & H
300 Winchester Mag
300 Weatherby Mag
300 RUM
303 Brit
8mm Remington Mag
338 Winchester Mag
340 Weatherby Mag
338 RUM
375 H & H
375 Weatherby
375 RUM
416 Remington Mag
458 Winchester Mag
458 Lott

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .585 +/-
30/378 Weatherby
338 Lapua
338/378 Weatherby
378 Weatherby mag
416 Rigby
416 Weatherby Mag
460 Weatherby Mag
470 Nitro Express

30-06 is a good choice. There is lots of factory ammo available and if you reload lots of bullet and brass choices.

Having a long-action would be most versatile. If you were to change barrels to a short-action cartridge, you can still shoot the cartridge in a long-action whereas you would have a very hard time shooting a long-action cartridge in a short-action rifle.

A previous post on getting good optics is also great advice. The old adage of buy-once, cry-once applies here.

many calibers will work. many scopes will work . even some of the 300-400$ . not all rifles will work. the barrel/ rifle is the most important. get a good one to lessen your frustration.

Ok so say I start withthe action only option. Where does one buy just an action and how much of the work can be done by myself (little gunsmitthing experience).?

I am thinkin I may get the 30-06 and gradually upgrade, but I want to make sure it wouldn't be better to start from scratch as essentially the only thing left un-upgraded in the end would be the action.

Ok so say I start withthe action only option. Where does one buy just an action and how much of the work can be done by myself (little gunsmitthing experience).?

I am thinkin I may get the 30-06 and gradually upgrade, but I want to make sure it wouldn't be better to start from scratch as essentially the only thing left un-upgraded in the end would be the action.

If you want to start with an action and build from there, you definitely will want to go with a Savage as they do not require many specialized tools. I am unsure where you can find a Savage action by itself.

If you went with a remington action, you would need some fairly specialized tools.

My recommendation would be to start with a complete rifle (as that way you have something to shoot) and steadily upgrade from there.

Ok, found a savage 110 7mm for $350. Does it matter if its a 110 or 111?

Appreciate all the info, this is exactly what I need to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts