New to the game: hornady interlock & inter bond

Deener- agree with you. the 165 IL are ideal and i have had great success with them. when and if you go for elk you can decide then what projectile.

Hornady 150 sst's are not premium bullets. They would actually work better on deer sized game than would the 180 interlocks. I've seen what these bullets do and they are absolutely devastating.

I just sort of discounted the SSTs. I've read lots of mixed reviews, ESP if you hit bone. I'll try some out if my gun doesn't like the 165 BT locks I just got in.

I leaned toward the IL bc I may use it for some rams with customers.

As far as I am concerned, the SST is no better than an Amax. I loaded a bunch of 150 grainers for my .308 and they absolutely dynamited on small white-tailed does. They are more expensive and are real accurate, but Interlocks are very accurate also. I will not use them again in a hunting load. They may be OK if you are shooting at extreme ranges where the velocity drops way off.

I just sort of discounted the SSTs. I've read lots of mixed reviews, ESP if you hit bone. I'll try some out if my gun doesn't like the 165 BT locks I just got in.

I leaned toward the IL bc I may use it for some rams with customers.

Yes they are a little softer bullet. According to hornady they are meant to retain 80% of there weight. I would think the 165 sst would work just fine on rams, but idk i've never shot a ram so i couldnt tell ya. I saw someone shoot an elk @600 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 130 sst and the elk never went 50 yards. But yes they are a softer bullet than the interlok there is no doubt about that. I like them because they rip things apart because they shed 20% of their weight.

There is no way that the SSTs that I have shot retained 80 percent of their weight. I doubt that they held 20 percent. They probably did a fine job at long range, but I will for sure never be shooting one again at closer ranges. A shoulder hit on a big animal could be disastrous.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts