New to the game: hornady interlock & inter bond

Tarheelpwr

Hi,

So, I'm finally getting into reloading for my 30/06. I'm pretty set on 165 class bullets as my go to. I was looking at the interbond until I contacted Hornady. They listed the operating window from 2200 - 3400. That low end seemed a little high to me. I expected the premium bullet to be similar to the Nosler AB window. Dropping down to 1800 fps adds almost 400 yds to the range.

So, my question is, have any of you used the 165 IL or AB below 2200 fps? How did it perform? I'm assuming Hornady just relays conservative info. They also would not give any info on hunting with the Amax. They just said its not designed or it, but I've read pretty unanimous positive reviews on it for deer class game.

I prefer the BTSP IL mainly for cost since it'll mainly be deer/preserve rams and sheep gun with clients. I'd like to practice plenty.

On a side note, what is a realistic max range for a 9x scope?

Chris

In an '06 the regular interlock will be fine. I've put many boxes of the 165 interlock (sp and bt) through '06 and 300 win rifles and they've always opened fine further out and didn't blow up close. My current 300 win eats the fb version of this bullet for its primary load.

Use the interlokt bullet. It mushrooms to the cannelure and works great. I used the boat tail in 165 in a 308 and 30.06. As to realistic shooting distance on 9x power, that's on you, your vision, and comfort zone. I like a lot of magnification. Don't own any scope that zooms less than 14.

Thanks. That's sort of what I thought. Interlocks are solid. I've never tried premiums, but I see those as a stop gap for using a marginal/small for animal caliber.

It's down the road, but I'd like to take a moose and an elk in the future. Is the 165 interlock enough for those large animals, or do you really need to step up to premiums for those with an '06? I have no experience on game above deer class game.

what rife? what scope? i have used the 165 horn, 168 beger, 168 cbt and the 165 sierra. all work good.

I am an -06 lover and here in Canada we probably shoot more moose than deer.

The -06 is a good caliber for these big animals.

Personally my best load is with a 180gr Partition. The Partition is not always needed but on quartering shot the bullet will make its way true, believe me.

Last week I tried the 208Amax on deer of +/- 90lbs and it was very disappointing. Complete bullet disintegration on broadside shot. Fragment all over the deer.

Good luck

Have you considered the 150gn sst's? i know they are a hair light but i had a rem 700 in a 30-06 and it ate them up! on average with that particular load i was getting 1/2 moa. Really does a great job on putting animals down. I was runnin them at around 3000 fps.

Your question is probably not for me but as this particular bullet is my bullet of choice for deer to caribou size game (it is deadly accurate and efficient) I must let you know from my point of view it opens to quickly for large game such as wapiti or moose. You will definitely not get the penetration needed for large game from this bullet at the -06 velocity. I drive them at 2900fps.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll keep the IL for day to day hunting as long as the gun like it.

I just don't see the need for premiums on deer, so I'll pass on the 150's.

When I think about moose/elk, it will be a pricey hunt. I'm still not sure premiums are required, but I don't want to lose a $4k animal. I'll work up a 165-180 premium when that tone comes.

I have reloaded the 165 Interlock for years in my short .308. They perform real well at the moderate velocities of the .308 and 30-06. I think that they are a real great compromise of quality and price. I have shot them in 7 mags, 6mm and .308 with excellent results on both deer and elk. I have them loaded in an O6, but have not shot anything with it.

I have never found an Interlock that isn't accurate, either. My loads have always been sub-minute shooters. They will work well for deer and also the heavier stuff. My boys both killed elk with the .308 and it did just fine. I think that if I was going on an expensive moose hunt, I would probably step up to the 180, though. My favorite for the heavy stuff is always the Partition, but the Interlock will serve you well, too.

Stay away from the expensive target bullets (amax), as they are not made to perform on game. Also, the all-copper premiums are just not needed at 06 velocities. They can perform well as long as the velocities are high, but can be problematic at long range and are also expensive.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll keep the IL for day to day hunting as long as the gun like it.

I just don't see the need for premiums on deer, so I'll pass on the 150's.

When I think about moose/elk, it will be a pricey hunt. I'm still not sure premiums are required, but I don't want to lose a $4k animal. I'll work up a 165-180 premium when that tone comes.

Hornady 150 sst's are not premium bullets. They would actually work better on deer sized game than would the 180 interlocks. I've seen what these bullets do and they are absolutely devastating.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.