New to the forum looking info

Travler

I have a 264 win mag that I have had for a long time but have not shot it in 5 years because of having a pacemaker now , I am looking to reduce the recoil any ideas
thx Travler

You probably love your 264 most people do, with that said if a brake don't tame it enough I would look at other cartridge options. I know with my 260 and 7mm-08 being lighter kickers to start with a brake makes them very low recoil, especially with a heavier rifle. Just a thought :)

thx Guys , a few things about the Rifle and me it is a custom build , by Ray Regonian I had built about 20 years ago it does have a good break on it back then I used it for long range varmint hunting deer and elk I used mostly hand loaded 140 grain and 120 grain bullets I will check the boxes to see exactly what I used , I was looking at them last night and some are faded , I do have several other calibers that I shoot comfortably , and old model Winchester 700 22-250 CAL and a howes that is a 243 Cal , the other down side is ( besides the pacemaker ) I am now in my 70'S and don't see as good as I used to , but the 32 power Burris on the 264 helps

A muzzle brake and some downloaded ammo should get it tamed down even downloaded you should still be in 6.5-06 territory as far as velocity and energy

2 things spring to mind, firstly have a smith fit a Pachmyer Decellerator pad on the rifle and if it is fitted with a brake already, work out what thread size it is and buy a timed Beast, Little Bastard or similar brake.
The difference between today's brakes and those of yesteryear is quite dramatic, so look into that too.
I love my 264's, have a Win Model 70 EW, a Rem 700 Sendero II custom, a Win Model 70 Super Grade and 3 barrels on my comp rig.

Cheers.

Magnum, thank you for the tips , I will look into both , as I really don't want to get rid of it , it has really treated me good for a long time do you have any tips on downloaded ammo , I still have a fairly good selection of 100 & 120 grain bullets , I have a couple hundred 140 grain left but think might be to much for my shoulder

I've never downloaded this round, however you can use a powder like H4831 with those 100gr and 120gr bullets using the start loads in a Speer manual or similar with excellent results. Another good powder would be H4350.

Cheers.

Hodgdon Reloading has data on H4895 for 85gr and 100gr bullets in a 264 Win Mag. The special thing about H4895 powder is Hodgdon has a specific downloading guide for it, copied here:

HODGDON® H4895® REDUCED RIFLE LOADS For Youth Hunting, Informal Target, and Plinking __________________________________________________________________________
Hodgdon Powder Company has found that H4895 can be loaded to reduced levels. H4895 was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. To create reduced loads, the 60% formula is recommended.

Find the H4895 load in the Reloading Data Center for your caliber and bullet. Take the maximum H4895 charge listed and multiply by 60% (.6). The load may be adjusted up from there to achieve the desired velocity and accuracy. This works only where H4895 is listed.

DO NOT use in a cartridge where H4895 is not shown.

Example: 30-06 cartridge with 125 gr. Sierra SP bullet. Max load shown in the Reloading Data Center with H4895 is 53.7 grains. 53.7 X .6 = 32.2 grains. The shooter begins with this load, and may work up from there to obtain the desired velocity and accuracy for his reduced load.

Call Hodgdon Powder Company if additional information is needed, 913-362-9455.

Wincheser LRM Primer
Trim: 2.490"

85gr Sierra HP
Starting:
COL - 3.100"
50.5gr
3,264 FPS
44,600 CUP

MAX:
55.0gr
3,625 FPS
52,900 CUP

100gr Hornady Spire Point
Starting:
COL - 3.230"
49.0gr
2,970 FPS
44,100 CUP

MAX:
53.0gr
3,405 FPS
54,200 CUP

Recoil using a 60% charge would be almost half of the recoil of a full power round. I make 125gr reduced recoil 30-06 loads with this method.

Last edited:
In your posts #s 1, 6, & 9, you write of your concern about the recoil even though you have a muzzle break on the rifle. I'm going to assume you have a wooden stock , if so, I would add a mercury recoil suppressor to the butt-stock.
Graco discontinued their mercury line, but C&H Research seems to have taken their place.
Here is a link to that line at Brownells.
C & H RESEARCH STANDARD STOCK RECOIL SUPPRESSOR | Brownells
Have one of those installed, along with the existing muzzle break, should be real comfortable.

to Those that have replied so far I really appreciate all the info , I think that it's up to me to go to work and make it happen
thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.