New to the forum, first post...

Lowlander

Hey everyone,

Glad to be here among fellow shooters and hunters. I have been on here many times reading posts and decided to join and maybe try to contribute along the way.

I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and I have hunted this area most of my life. It is a family tradition handed down from generation to generation. Though we are a bit more involved with rifle and ammo selection and shooting at longer ranges for this area.

I have rarely taken a shot at game over 350-400yds here because that is really about the max the terrain will allow one to make an ethical shot. I have ran fairly standard factory built rifles up until the last few years. I've ran the push feed Model 70 my dad handed down to me, chambered in 270. Recently I run my Sako A7 in 7RM which does the job just as well. My dad and I both handload pretty much exclusively for our hunting rigs.

Recently I've had the bug to build a few rifles. I have built more ARs than I can count. I currently run an 18" WOA barreled 6.8SPC and 100gr and 110gr Accubonds over AA2270 in my hunting AR. I have found it to be a perfect little brush gun for the woods. But now I'm moving into building a few bolt guns set up the way I want them.

I've put together a 700SA, 308 with a 20" barrel. It's a pretty solid rig, McMillan stock, Brux barrel, good shooter. So now I'm looking at building a 700LA in most likely 300WM. I have a nearly new Kreiger 1:10 cut barrel, chambered in 308 right now, that I would like to punch out to 300WM. I build on 700s because they are cheap, plentiful and I don't cringe when dragging one through brush or drop it on a steep bank.

The 300WM should serve my purposes of shooting at ranges beyond 800yds here where I can. I don't plan to take shots on game at these ranges, probably will just be a rock buster out to the longest ranges I can stretch it. My altitude here is anywhere from 800'asl in the valleys to 1400'asl on the ridges. So it's a bit more challenging to make those long shots here than say out West.

I blueprint the actions myself, using a PTG reamer, they have turned out very square. I am also building a 22BR for my wife, also on a 700SA in SS. I hope that it will do a good job dispatching the coyotes we have to contend with. Most of our hunting here is whitetail and bear. Varmint hunting is plentiful with the coyote population.

Anyway, I would like to try to make it out West in the next few years to hunt Elk. So I joined up here to start studying up on it. I'm building the 300WM also so that I can have the proper tool for the job when I arrange to make it out West to hunt. I'm sure my 7RM would do the trick, but I enjoy building the rifles too so I want to build one specifically for this purpose.

Glad to be part of the forum, thanks for reading my long post, lol...

Lowlander, welcome to the forum! Lot's of good, knowledgeable folks on here and a few grumpy ones like myself! :) I hope that you can enjoy and learn much from your time spent here! Oh, as a passing comment, out west.....you are not required to shoot game at long distance. However, sometimes it happens that way! ;) memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.