New to the forum and new project

Don't mess with it until you take it out further! Unless of course you don't get the speed you want.:rolleyes:

Tank

Roger..... I would really like to see over 3K out of this 210 Berger. Most load data I have shows that 7828 is not the best for velocity (I happen to have 5lbs of it, that's why I started with it), but if I can reach that goal I'll stick with it. Otherwise I'll try some Retumbo or other powders for the velocity I seek..

Roger..... I would really like to see over 3K out of this 210 Berger. Most load data I have shows that 7828 is not the best for velocity (I happen to have 5lbs of it, that's why I started with it), but if I can reach that goal I'll stick with it. Otherwise I'll try some Retumbo or other powders for the velocity I seek..

I think that H1000 and RL25 are the velocity kings in the 210/300RUM combo for almost 3200fps. Maybe even RL22.

Unverified load 5149 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum Similar load data for ya

Unverified load 6550 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Unverified load 6173 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Unverified load 5403 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Load 1 detail in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
LoadID=8343

Load 11139 detail in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

I know some of these aren't the weight bullet you use, but should give you some indication where to start and see what other people are getting.

Tank

I think that H1000 and RL25 are the velocity kings in the 210/300RUM combo for almost 3200fps. Maybe even RL22.

Unverified load 5149 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum Similar load data for ya

Unverified load 6550 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Unverified load 6173 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Unverified load 5403 in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

Load 1 detail in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
LoadID=8343

Load 11139 detail in caliber .300 Remington Ultra Magnum

I know some of these aren't the weight bullet you use, but should give you some indication where to start and see what other people are getting.

Tank

Thanks...Some of those loads were showing 7828 over 3K with 26" barrels - with my 30" barrel I should already be there. Also, I noticed that one load was using 7828SSC, I think you can use more of that powder for more velocity without adding a lot more pressure. RL25 has had some issues where I live, it seems to not like the heat and seems to change with the weather. I have some H1000, I'm going to try it next. It's going to hard to beat my first load!

Well... did more shootin today - raised my load a couple grains to get 3K - all three shots came in at 3018, 3018, 3017! After looking everything over I found that I'm not even close to max. My issue was hard extraction - I found that the cam effect on the bolt was not working properly (old action) fixed it up and now no issues.

Here is my 3 shot, 100 yd group....I measured it at .157...off the bipod and rear bag. That should give me plenty good accuracy at 1k and beyond. Next week I'm going to try more powder to gain a little more velocity, as I think there is more..

Attachments

• .157.jpg
    .157.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 84
Well - I went out today to try the new gun at distance - didn't work out as well as I thought it should. I built data on the G7 calculator, and went to it.

First shot at 400 was high - I believe my adjustment was 5.3 MOA - I ended up at 3 MOA to hit the plate.

I then moved to 500, adjusted 7.6 MOA, ended up at 6.5 MOA for a hit.

On to 600, adjusted 10.1 MOA, ended at 9 MOA for the hit. 800 yards, 15.6 MOA, ended at 13.5 MOA.

Can these calculators be that far off? My inputs were spot on from elevation, temp, baro pressure, BC, and velocity. Is there something I'm missing? I do remember reading somewhere that bullet BC's can change at different velocities, could this be a factor I missed? If so, how do you fix that in your adjustments?

One thing I can say is that these 210 Bergers will punch holes in a 3/4 steel plate at 800 yards! :D

Well - I went out today to try the new gun at distance - didn't work out as well as I thought it should. I built data on the G7 calculator, and went to it.

First shot at 400 was high - I believe my adjustment was 5.3 MOA - I ended up at 3 MOA to hit the plate.

On to 600, adjusted 10.1 MOA, ended at 9 MOA for the hit. 800 yards, 15.6 MOA, ended at 13.5 MOA.

Can these calculators be that far off? My inputs were spot on from elevation, temp, baro pressure, BC, and velocity. Is there something I'm missing? I do remember reading somewhere that bullet BC's can change at different velocities, could this be a factor I missed? If so, how do you fix that in your adjustments?

One thing I can say is that these 210 Bergers will punch holes in a 3/4 steel plate at 800 yards! :D

You can adjust the BC higher or up your velocity. Try it both ways and see what hits closer to your drops.

Tank

You can adjust the BC higher or up your velocity. Try it both ways and see what hits closer to your drops.

Tank

Thanks lightbulb - I first tried to adjust the BC with not alot of luck. I then adjusted the velocity to 3150 rather than the 3040 I was averaging and it came out almost exact. Do you know why this is, or is it just one of those unexplainable things?

You didn't mention relative humidity. A bullet will lose velocity slower in dry air vs extremely humid air as moisture creates resistance.

If the humidity was considerably lower than what you calculated that could make a fair amount of difference at long range though it shouldn't make much difference at all out to 400yds.

Remember too that different bullet manufacturers figure ballistic coefficient's a bit differently. Some use averages based on median velocities while other's use just a standard calculation.

Technology cannot replace the value of lots of practice under all sorts of conditions so take good notes of the conditions and performance every time you are out.

Once you have a load properly tuned to your particular rifle that data will be invaluable to you in the future as you will find that quite often the actual performance is going to vary considerably from what the calculations give you.

You didn't mention relative humidity. A bullet will lose velocity slower in dry air vs extremely humid air as moisture creates resistance.

If the humidity was considerably lower than what you calculated that could make a fair amount of difference at long range though it shouldn't make much difference at all out to 400yds.

Remember too that different bullet manufacturers figure ballistic coefficient's a bit differently. Some use averages based on median velocities while other's use just a standard calculation.

Technology cannot replace the value of lots of practice under all sorts of conditions so take good notes of the conditions and performance every time you are out.

Once you have a load properly tuned to your particular rifle that data will be invaluable to you in the future as you will find that quite often the actual performance is going to vary considerably from what the calculations give you.

You're right - when the power goes out all you'll have is your written notes and knowledge. Using these devices should at least get me close - I suspect that I have another few hundred rounds of practrice ahead of me! Antelope hunt is in 2 weeks, hope I can figure out things by then or the Hoyt will have to come out!

went out and tried some new loads this evening. Retumbo is my friend! I 've found my pet load - 96.0 gr Retumbo over 210 Berger at 3350 fps, under .250 MOA! And it's not even hot, I found 98.0 to be my max but with poor accuracy. Here are some pictures of plates. 1st at 550yds and 2nd at 860yds. Not the best groups but we had forgot to put a dot for an aiming reference, so I just centered the crosshairs. The plates are 17"x10".

Attachments

• DSCN6011.jpg
    DSCN6011.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN6012.jpg
    DSCN6012.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 68
went out and tried some new loads this evening. Retumbo is my friend! I 've found my pet load - 96.0 gr Retumbo over 210 Berger at 3350 fps, under .250 MOA! And it's not even hot, I found 98.0 to be my max but with poor accuracy. Here are some pictures of plates. 1st at 550yds and 2nd at 860yds. Not the best groups but we had forgot to put a dot for an aiming reference, so I just centered the crosshairs. The plates are 17"x10".
.250MOA is always going to be hard to beat.

I've ususally found that max loads (speed) rarely work out as the most accurate.

You seem to have round a really nice medium groove.

Update on now what I call "Bertha". I was getting tired of the laminate so I camo'd her up. What do you think?:D

Attachments

• DSCN6856.jpg
    DSCN6856.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN6859.jpg
    DSCN6859.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.