New to site: Looking for 280 info...

JMc

Just purchased a 280 Remington 700 DM Mountain Rifle from a Pawn Shop in Amarillo, TX for $400. It sports a matte black Leupold VX1 6 pwr and has been sighted in to 1" groups using factory Rem. 140gr core-lokt. Any information on reload data is appreciated. I plan to use the gun for white tail and mules with an occasional hog hunt for target practice. Thanks for any info and your time.

I load 150 gr Nosler BT in my 280. I use 51.5 grains of IMR 4350 and Fed 210 primers. This load has taken several WY antelope over 400 yards with instant kills. This load shots about 5/8" in my rifle.

I forgot, I also took a 400lbs feral hog in southern NM at 200 yards with this load. I hit the large boar hog mid shoulder and the bullet went completely through. The hog ran about 20 yards then dropped for good.

I have all most too many loads to give you. I have a 700 CDL Remington in 280 Rem with a 24 inch barrel.I reload for this gun and my son's Ruger Mark II in 280 Rem with a 22 inch barrel. Both our favorite deer load is a 140 grain Nosler Accubond bullet, in Remington cases pushed by RL-19 powder and using WLR primers. I use the Nosler #5 Manual as a guide. The max load is 57 grains so work up to this. My gun gets just under 3000 ft/sec and his is just under 2900 with the same load. I have loaded the same bullet and used H4831 as my powder it will do the job also but I got better accuracy with RL-19.

I have also loaded 140 Barnes TSX bullets and RL-22 powder, in RP cases and WLR primers. I used Barnes data and with a near max load this one goes over 3000 ft/sec out of my 24 inch barrel.

I have also loaded a Hornady 139 SP with RL-22 powder in the same RP cases and WLR primers. This load produces 3000 ft/sec.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.