New to sight, Scope question

Marine1310

New to this forum and thought this was as good a place as any to ask. Just got a Stevens .338 Lapua and am looking to outfit it with a scope. Was looking at the Sightron SSIII, either a 6x24 or 8x32. Biggest question/concern is will either of these scopes offer me enough adjustability to accurately adjust to a 1200+yd shot if zeroed at 300yds? Rifle currently has a 20 MOA rail on it. Trying to figure out if I need a 30 MOA or not. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated along with any other helpful info. TIA and look forward to hearing your comments!

Should be plenty of travel with a 20 MOA rail. Especially zeroed at 300yds. I would recommend the 6-24x50 SIII. Really good scope for the money. How many minutes of dope do you need (with your load) to hit at 1200yds?

I have the 6-24 and an 8-32. These are great scopes. I have a 20 moa base on the 8-32 and have 42 MOA adjustment from 100 yard zero.

Thanks for the quick replies. If I plan on a 300 yd zero, why the 30 MOA rail? This is a new caliber for me and not really familiar with all the ballistics yet. From what I have read, with a 300 yd zero, it'll only shoot 3-4 inches high before that. I plan on using the rifle for hunting and long range target shooting but only want to buy one scope if possible. I know its capable of 1500 yd + shots and would like a scope that will work in all scenarios.

20 MOA is the most popular.

When you look at the crosshair at 300 yards, the crosshair will be slightly higher than in the center of the lens.
If shooting at 600 to 800 yards, the crosshair will be in the center of the lens.
Perhaps you may not notice much difference if the crosshair is higher, middle or lower of the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.