New to rifle reloading - Powder suggestions?

engineer40

I've reloaded shotgun enough through the years and some pistol stuff with my dad a while back. But I always used Unique.

I've recently purchased a single stage press and dies for 2 of my rifles to start; 30-06 and 223.

I have other rifles that I will be reloading for eventually, but these 2 cartridges are where i decided to start for now.

I'm pretty good about researching information but there are so many powder choices, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here.

I have some Lapua and Norma brass coming.

If it makes a difference on decision criteria:
30-06 is a bolt action with 22 inch barrel.
223 is a semi auto with 16 inch barrel.

What are some good choices for match grade rifle powders?

Should I start with getting 2 or 3 different, 1lb jugs to do load development on?

Thanks everyone!

Any of the 4350's is a good place to start with the 30-06 with 165 grn and up. And Benchmark works well for my .223. If your .223 is not a AR, then i have had good luck with H 4198 in a couple bolt guns.

Please buy a reloading manual: Lyman, Nosler, Sierra, many good ones. Buy several.

Read thoroughly. Read again. You will learn a lot, particularly how to load safely.

There are many good powder choices for different bullet weights in different calibers.

Good luck.

Thanks gohring3006! That does match up with some info I've been finding.

I have a Lyman manual coming in the same shipment as my equipment. So all good there! I'm asking the questions up front because I've heard powder can take a while to get these days and your choices may be not as many. Just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

I have a Lyman manual coming in the same shipment as my equipment. So all good there! I'm asking the questions up front because I've heard powder can take a while to get these days and your choices may be not as many. Just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

I'd try IMR 4350 and AA4350 in the 30-06 being as you have a 22" barrel. For the .223, I'd try XM2015BR, and maybe 2230. The 2015 was designed for the .223 in an auto weapon. H335 works well, and throws very accurately. If you happen upon some H322, by all means try it. Suspect BLC2 will be a touch too slow for a 16" barrel.
gary

Good to hear that.

I suggest you read the manual first.

Select the bullets you want to shoot based on the twist rates of your barrels and what exactly you want to shoot.

Only then select a powder. Many good choices.

If you buy powders without knowing what bullet you intend to load, you could be very disappointed.

Good luck.

I like Ball-C (Ball C 2) for the .223 in a Ranch Rifle. I don't use 5.56 military brass.
Can't beat 4350 for 30-06

Pic Ranch Rifle, .223, , Sierra 52gr BTHP Match, 100yds

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 38
My buddy swears by Hodgdon's CFE 223 for his 223. I use it for my .308 bolt action and it's my favorite for that. Very consistent and low barrel fouling.

Hi, I agree with all above advice , take it from us , who have tried a few different powders over the years.
4350 and 4831 for the 30-06, works pretty good .
Other powders will of course work.

For my experience for the 30-06 , 180 gr bullets , cover a lot of different hunting.

One more thing , i found that sticking with one type of brass ,one brand of primer ,one brand and weight bullet and one load of powder ,makes it a lot easier .

IMR8208XBR, 223 heavy bullets
Benchmark, 223 light bullets
But in todays reloading supply market you often buy what you can get and make it work.

Recent Posts