New to reloading

I went to the range today to get sighted in with my new scope. Vortex 6-24x50. Bore sighted at fifty and shot 5 rounds to adjust, Remington 140 Corlokt's. Moved over to the 100 and shot one 4 round group with the Hornady 150 ELDx's right out of the box. I was impressed with the group from a factory round. I'm gonna try seating a little deeper for my next trip to the range.
It get better.

Yeah I edited it. I added one to many zeros. I know what the differences are between them. I don't have any components yet to measure jump. I have the tool but no bullets, yet. I've watched the Wheeler video and that's why I checked my brass after bumping the shoulder .002. For ****'s and giggles I tried a Hornady cartridge and it was a little bit of effort to close the bolt. there was only .001 difference between my resized brass and a loaded cartridge, not mine. I'm assuming .001 difference wouldn't cause that much effort in closing the bolt, but a bullet not seated deep enough would. Am I correct in assuming that?
Check bullet, if circle s rates your to deep in the lands

That's a GREAT group vertical!
Sounds like you have the fired brass bump just right. You can verify by adding a layer of scotch tape to the base. See if your bolt flops. That's 0.002" per layer of tape, so ideally only 1 layer should stop the flop..

Best way to find the lands is to keep seating your bullet deeper and deeper until you get bolt flop. Go in steps 0.001" at a time. That's your starting point for finding your best "jump" for that bullet. This starting point will be a BULLET SPECIFIC thing. Save that (empty) round for reference.

Your stripped bolt method works equally well with bullet jump as it does shoulder bump. Make a long one and gradually seat the bullet deeper until you get that bolt handle free fall. While opening the bolt with a jammed bullet you will get primary extraction "click". When the click disappears the bullet is no longer into the lands. A Sharpie coloring of the bullet will then show only the marks of where the bullet is touching the lands.

Recent Posts