New to reloading

I'm not asking because I think it's hard to do. I'm asking because I'm completely new to this and don't have anything in hand yet. I won't be changing except for when needed like going from sizing to seating. What I don't know is if the nut can be locked down so that it maintains the same setting when removed and later reinstalled? A couple of videos that I have seen shows the guy having to tighten the nut back down after reinstalling the die. I'm just imagining that there should be some way to lock the nut in position so that every time I swap dies they screw back in to the same depth every time without needing adjustments. It should be a repeatable process and it may be. I don't know and that is why I'm asking.

I'm not asking because I think it's hard to do. I'm asking because I'm completely new to this and don't have anything in hand yet. I won't be changing except for when needed like going from sizing to seating. What I don't know is if the nut can be locked down so that it maintains the same setting when removed and later reinstalled? A couple of videos that I have seen shows the guy having to tighten the nut back down after reinstalling the die. I'm just imagining that there should be some way to lock the nut in position so that every time I swap dies they screw back in to the same depth every time without needing adjustments. It should be a repeatable process and it may be. I don't know and that is why I'm asking.
I understand I'm not belittling you in anyway saying it is too hard like I said if you're locking ring or nut does not rotate they should go back and be repeatable every time I do not have any problems with it with that said there are different types of locking rings or nuts I do not like the one with the Allen head set screw they will damage threads on the die unless you take a piece of shotgun lead shot and put underneath it they hold better that way and do not damage threadsI personally like the locking rings that are split and tighten down on the die itself

Yes! That's what I wanted to know! Thanks. I don't want a grub screw to tighten against the threads and screw them up. I want a clamping type nut or collar. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't know if they come that way or if I have to modify or swap some stuff. Thanks

Yes! That's what I wanted to know! Thanks. I don't want a grub screw to tighten against the threads and screw them up. I want a clamping type nut or collar. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't know if they come that way or if I have to modify or swap some stuff. Thanks
It depends on the die manufacturer I found one I like I cannot say exactly who makes them as it's been a long time but I bought that exact one for all my dies

I just thought of another option if you had extras with the grub screw and did not want to use it simply use 2 to lock them together in a lock nut type situation

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll wait and see what my dies come with. If I can't find the clamping rings/nuts, then I will just buy extra nuts and double nut them once I get my loads figured out. Thanks again!

I guess I should have waited 🤣. These showed up this morning and are exactly what I was looking for. So once I get everything set, I should be able to tighten the collar and hold everything in place when swapping to a different cartridge.

Attachments

• D34A768B-83C1-456B-8BB4-953A087BBD9A.jpeg
    D34A768B-83C1-456B-8BB4-953A087BBD9A.jpeg
    886.8 KB · Views: 55
I guess I should have waited 🤣. These showed up this morning and are exactly what I was looking for. So once I get everything set, I should be able to tighten the collar and hold everything in place when swapping to a different cartridge.
Nice!

Does anybody use the lock n load or the lee breech lock bushing in a rock chucker for quick changes? I don't really care about the time to unscrew a die. I'm mainly concerned with my dies just staying set where I have them. Do the nuts stay put once the die is set to where they will reinstall the same every time or is setup involved every time I remove a die?
I use the hornady lock and load bushing in my rock chucker. I like it. Die changed are fast and repeatable. I'm sure some will argue with that but I havnt noticed anything.
I also have a hornady progressive so it just made sense to me to keep everything similar.
I load for most my rifles on the rockchucker with the bushing and a chargemaster lite I have loads that shoot sub 1/2MOA so that's good enough in my book for what I do(I still check shoulder bump with the first couple after a die change but I'd say most of the time I don't adjust anything)

As long as the locking ring does not move they stay set for me you know everyone wants things easy but easy is not always the best solution if you change dies so much that it is hard on you threading it in and out maybe you should go with a turret press and buy extra turrets then once the die is set it is never removed for different calibers you simply swap Turrets
Are you saying you lock the lock ring and can still unscrew them out of the press and put them back and they are still set?? What press sorry trying to read the whole thing and work might have missed somthing lol.

My pressis a Redding ultra mag
So you just set your die, then turn the lock ring down lock it down, once done with the die you just simply turn it out of the press put away.
and when you need it again you just screw it down in the press till it's hand tight and the settings are consistent??
Didn't know you could do that😬😂 learn somthing new everyday

I have some older dies that have a lead shotgun pellet between the set screw and the die threads.
Works exceedingly well without damaging the die threads.

That's a good idea too in case I get some that aren't the clamp style! Do they hold "zero" well when coming out and going back in?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.