New to reloading

I started reloading as a young man on a Rockchucker but thought I "needed" a turret so switched to a Lyman T-mag. That didn't last long as I could see it rocking as it sized the brass...to be fair it was their original version and they have since taken care of the problem on later versions. I went back to the Rockchucker for many years but did switch to the Rockchucker Supreme about a year after it came out but both worked fine for most everything! I have always been happy with the quality ammo I have produced. As mentioned earlier, techniques are the most important part...knowledge is your friend! 😊
I have an older version of the Lyman press from the early eighties and I too have noticed the turret movement on rifle cases. I just use that one for decapping and pistol cartridges, works fine for those items.

As one said earlier, If you get addicted you will end up with multiples of everything. For a single stage press, I really like the cam-over design.

I have an older version of the Lyman press from the early eighties and I too have noticed the turret movement on rifle cases. I just use that one for decapping and pistol cartridges, works fine for those items.
I did cut a few shims out of a soda (pop) can to reduce the movement (it did work well) but in my head it was not "perfect enough" which is why I shifted back to the non-moving Rockchucker.

I have one of these over my reloading bench to remind me to pay attention while reloading. I don't want my stuff to "usually" work. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Lester's Ammo.jpg

Well I found the Rock Chucker Supreme kit this morning for $369 so I ordered it. I'll learn on it and see where that leads me. I have ordered dies for 308, 7-08, and 300wsm so far. I have powder on the way too. Anybody have any primers that are in your way? 🤣 Any tips or suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for everything guys.

Money is not a huge issue. I'm definitely a buy once cry once type of person. I would rather get what works well to begin with.
I've been using the same RCBS Rockchucker for 52 years now, still going strong. As said before, scales and calipers most important tools. Good luck, one word of caution. It's HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!

Second what Oldstreetbob stated regarding press, caliper and scales. I bought a Rockchucker in 1970. I resized some 308 cases over the weekend that measured less than 1% TIR using Mighty Armory die. I would add good quality dies are required along with a straight press for maximum concentricity. I have had good results with Forster dies also. In lieu of kit tools, I recommend just about any made by Sinclair, Wilson or Forster. Good luck with your new hobby, although difficult, try to stay out of the rabbit holes.

Does anybody use the lock n load or the lee breech lock bushing in a rock chucker for quick changes? I don't really care about the time to unscrew a die. I'm mainly concerned with my dies just staying set where I have them. Do the nuts stay put once the die is set to where they will reinstall the same every time or is setup involved every time I remove a die?

Does anybody use the lock n load or the lee breech lock bushing in a rock chucker for quick changes? I don't really care about the time to unscrew a die. I'm mainly concerned with my dies just staying set where I have them. Do the nuts stay put once the die is set to where they will reinstall the same every time or is setup involved every time I remove a die?
I have heard about problems with that set up stripping out if it stripping out it is due to whatever locking lug it has wearing which to me means movement think about it

Ok makes sense. Just using the standard die setup, do the dies stay set when you remove and reinstall them? If they do then that's fine. I just don't want to have to reset the dies every time.

Ok makes sense. Just using the standard die setup, do the dies stay set when you remove and reinstall them? If they do then that's fine. I just don't want to have to reset the dies every time.
As long as the locking ring does not move they stay set for me you know everyone wants things easy but easy is not always the best solution if you change dies so much that it is hard on you threading it in and out maybe you should go with a turret press and buy extra turrets then once the die is set it is never removed for different calibers you simply swap Turrets

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.