New to reloading...

Csafisher

So I have been looking into getting into reloading. I would reload for my 308 mainly and a little bit for my .300wm. And maybe eventually for pistols. Im looking at getting the hornady lock-n-load classic kit. And then a tumbler and case trimmer eventually. Are there any other "kits" that would be better? Any input/tips/do's and don'ts would be great.

Will get comfortable with the 308 and then get some 300 stuff. Probably start with varget as that's what Ive seen work well and some 168 and 175 smks. Rifle is a 700 5R.

I do not have a chronograph but at the moment I can only shoot to about 600-650 yards so I dont need to push the pressure limits.

Happy 4th! gun)

IMO the Hornady Classic Kit is the best value for the money. I did not get the kit but do use the press and like it a lot. The RCBS Rock Chucker press is pretty much the standard but I like the Hornady press better. Mainly due to the Lock N Load bushings that make changing dies very easy. It is such a good system that you can by a Lock N Load bushing kit for other presses. One big difference between the RCBS and the Hornady is that the RSBC is cast iron verses cast aluminum for the Hornady. This is supposed to be more rigid and help to make more consistent ammo. I have not found that to be the case however and I load ammo just as accurate on the Hornady press. Plus the Hornady press is lighter and can be transported easier.
I load ammo from .223 to 300 RUM on mine with no problems what so ever.

Couple other things besides the press:

I like electronic scales and the Hornady kit has one. Folks say otherwise, but the electronic scales are just accurate AND easier to use than the bean scales. Plus you can use the electronic scale for sorting brass by weight and H2O capacity, which believe me, you will start doing once you get into long range accuracy. Even at 500 yards you will be wanting to do this.

The Hornady manual that comes with the kit is one of the best reloading manuals on the market. It explains very well all steps of reloading and you can learn to reload just from that book alone.

Dies and Shell Holders: Hornady dies are good but I like RCBS and Redding dies better. I am not a fan of Hornady shell holders. RCBS are better and you can use then on the Hornady press. You can use RCBS and Redding dies on the press too. And use the Lock N Load bushings. It's like the best of all worlds.

I would get the classic kit and not deluxe one. You will need some of the things from the deluxe kit later, but just from eyeballing it I don't think the deluxe kit is that great a deal. For example, you will need a bullet puller but the hammer type pullers are not that great. Get this pullet puller a Grip-N-Pull when the time comes. You can thank me then.
Grip-n-Pull The World's Best Bullet Puller

Keep us posted your progress.

And one question is do you guys uniform the flash tube?

Yes, and you will want to also. It will help lower you extreme spread velocity and help when weight sorting cases. On some brass you don't have to do this because it is done at the factory for you. Norma and Nosler it is done for you. Hornady, Winchester, Federal, and several others you will have to do yourself. It's not hard and the tool is cheap.

I agree with Barrelnut, just would like to add that i wouldn't wait on the case trimmer. You will need to trim your brass, if you can keep the brass the same length,you will have better consistency. I have a lock n load for my AR and pistol loads. It is a nice press for the money.
I think, if you keep the ram lubed that the aluminum press will out last you.

Thanks for the help guys. I do like the electric scale with the Hornady kit. I will probably also grab a powder trickler. I won't be reloading that much. (Probably less than 600-800 a year for now) Once I start with pistols that will change.

I was thinking about redding dies because I've heard good things about them.

So for the first load development, should I start with a constant OAL and vary the charge to find the best and then play with seating depth? Or vice versa?

Thanks for the help guys. I do like the electric scale with the Hornady kit. I will probably also grab a powder trickler. I won't be reloading that much. (Probably less than 600-800 a year for now) Once I start with pistols that will change.

I was thinking about redding dies because I've heard good things about them.

So for the first load development, should I start with a constant OAL and vary the charge to find the best and then play with seating depth? Or vice versa?

Check this current thread. It should give you an answer. :)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/how-do-you-guys-choose-your-seating-depth-156137/

Once I start with pistols that will change. Look at the Dillon Square Deal B for loading pistol. I have one and love it. On my center fire I use mainly RCBS Presses but really like the Redding Competition Dies for my match loads. I use RCBS for my hunting rounds. I think it is personal preference and like both die makers. Don't think you could go wrong either way. I like the way Redding adjust and RCBS has about the best customer service out there. Good Luck with your decisions. Read up and study before you buy. The old adage " Buy Once Cry Once" is a good saying to go by.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.