New to reloading - guidance on Ackley Improved dies etc.

Ackley Improved, reloading dies

• Give it up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ackley is great.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

slsak

After many years of working and saving, I at last have started working on playing with shooting sports again. I am mortgage free and have bought a Randy Selby takedown switch barrel rifle in 25-06ai,30-06ai, and 338-06ai. That decision behind me, I am now getting set up for reloading these rounds, and doing load development, a LabRadar chronograph will be used. I went with AI mostly to limit case expansion and to prolong case life. What dies etc would be suggested for this situation? I expect to use a single stage press given my modest volume.

If money is not a huge issue I would shoot some cases and send them to Whidden for custom made set. If not you will be fine as long as you stay with any of the top tier sets such as Forster BR dies or Redding FL Type S. Unless you really want legit setup and you can get Warner die body and have him make you the inserts for each caliber with some fired brass from each.

You need to go back to the Smith and get the reamer prints first. After that send them to whilden to see IF his dies match. Dies that work are most important and too many Smith's tweak chambers to what they like and may not work well wit standard sized dies

Why u need prints if they are making custom dies to fireformed brass? Just curious
10976959-0326-4835-852A-74DCFFFFE53B.png

Why u need prints if they are making custom dies to fireformed brass? Just curious
View attachment 135014
You have no idea what the throat is and other specs from once fired brass. You can cannot go wrong IF you have the reamer print.

More importantly, most die makers want brass fired 3x as it normally takes that to fully fireform.

Get one Redding competition neck sizing die, the various bushing you need, and a shoulder bump die for each chamber. Order a competition seater with vld seating punch for each chamber. The tools you need to measure headspace. You won t need to bump shoulders often unless you push it hard. What's nice about the competition sizer is that is easy to leave a false shoulder for fire forming brass , seat out into the lands also helps the forming process I shot a 260 ai, 6.5x280ai , 280 ai. I load both the 6.5 one 280 with same dies just changing neck bushing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts