New to reloading-7mm-08 question

Another vote for going with the heavier, higher BC, 150 pill, if your rifle will group them. I have had good luck with the 150 ELDX and ABLR in 7-08 coming in around 2700fps.

Awesome. I have 100 empty star line brass. I have a 1x9.5 twist. Does the CFE give you better velocity than varget or just less standard deviation over the course of fire? Thanks so much for the load data btw

Personal preference but, I usually start load development with the most tempt stable option and work down the list from there. H4350, Varget, RL16, Staball 6.5 are all good choices in 7-08 and range from outstanding to good temp stability.

Personal preference but, I usually start load development with the most tempt stable option and work down the list from there. H4350, Varget, RL16, Staball 6.5 are all good choices in 7-08 and range from outstanding to good temp stability.
Great. My buddy only has varget but I will see if I can pick up some 4350 just to try something else out

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum. I found this by a friend who is going to teach me how to reload. Bought a set of Hornady dies for 7mm -08. I run savage 110 storm with a 22 in barrel. I am from New Jersey but have been hunting in Idaho the past few years with a buddy from Arco. My main focus is mule deer. I have found my gun likes the Barnes ttsx bt. I have 50 each of 120 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain.
My question to the experts would be which grain weight would you choose for mulies and what velocity on the high end should I aim for with each grain weight. We will be using varget with star line brass. Thanks so much everyone.
I'd find the most accurate bullet out of your rifle and let shot placement do the rest! My pet 257 Roberts load shoots 1/4"groups with a bullet I can't stand just personal preferences so I won't list manufacturers. But when I took the eye out of a doe at 275 yards on a bet I decided that loads just fine for all intents and purposes! Shoot straight not fast, and Thats coming from a hot rod cartridge guy.

Hey, my 7-08 likes Varget, H414, and CFE with 120 grain bullets. CFE seems to give the best velocity, I haven't noticed the temp issue. But I haven't been experimenting with it that long yet. With 48 grs of CFE and the 120 TSX I had 3059 FPS from my 22 inch barrel. Accuracy was good so I didn't push it any faster. H414 works well with 120 and 140 grain bullets. Varget works well with numerous 120 grain bullets, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Barnes all group well with velocity around 2860 FPS

You picked a great cartridge to start hunting and reloading with. It was the first cartridge I started reloading back in the earlier 80's. Killed my first moose with it using 140 gr Nosler partitions.
Have fun and Take Care

Hey, my 7-08 likes Varget, H414, and CFE with 120 grain bullets. CFE seems to give the best velocity, I haven't noticed the temp issue. But I haven't been experimenting with it that long yet. With 48 grs of CFE and the 120 TSX I had 3059 FPS from my 22 inch barrel. Accuracy was good so I didn't push it any faster. H414 works well with 120 and 140 grain bullets. Varget works well with numerous 120 grain bullets, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Barnes all group well with velocity around 2860 FPS

You picked a great cartridge to start hunting and reloading with. It was the first cartridge I started reloading back in the earlier 80's. Killed my first moose with it using 140 gr Nosler partitions.
Have fun and Take Care
Whoa moose! Did not know it was capable of that. Mulies should be within its limits then.

I use the 150 eld-x in my 22 in barrel 7-08 ,preferring the higher B.C. (.570) over the added velocity of the 139 and 140 grain bullets for shooting past 300 yards. I use 45.2 gr H4350 (m.v.- 2740 fps) sitting .010 off the lands with Nosler brass. I am sure your Barnes ttsx will do the trick on Mulies . Happy Hunting

Do you have any trouble with compressed loads? 45.2gr of powder and that long 150gr eld-x bullet would appear to be a tight fit. Have you tested different COALs and noted differences? I tried a 175gr eldx and not enough room for bullet and powder.

Thanks.

Do you have any trouble with compressed loads? 45.2gr of powder and that long 150gr eld-x bullet would appear to be a tight fit. Have you tested different COALs and noted differences? I tried a 175gr eldx and not enough room for bullet and powder.

Thanks.
What a excellent observation.. Here is how I overcame this problem hopefully I will not be to long winded: Book COL for the 150 and 175 ELD-x is 2.800 which I would agree would compress loads but for me to get .010 off lands I had to have a COL of 2.938. My max magazine length was 2.850. I remedied this by cutting out the magazine block and JB welding just the tab to the back of the block. This added .120 to my magazine. (you do have to grind back your bolt stop so your bolt can get behind the case and possibly tinker with your magazine lips for feeding purposes). So here is my math 2.948 (150 eld-x touches lands) minus .010 jump equals 2.938 COL. I was trying to solve a jump to lands problem but got the added benefit of getting that bullet up out of the case body resulting in more room for powder. I need to attach a disclaimer that I don't think everybody should try this.

Thanks so much to everyone who is been replying to this thread. Spent last night reading my Lyman reloading book, as well as the Nosler ballistic sites and the Hodgsons load data site. As a new reloader could someone explain compressed loads to me? I kept my first load very conservative, but I see that I could get some better velocities with compressed loads. I Want to make sure I'm still being safe. Thanks again to everyone

MY 7-08 is a single shot pistol, so in order to minimize flame throwing I stick to the faster/medium powders. IMR4166 and Varget perform very well with 120, 130 & 140 grain bullets from the pistols 14" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.