New to reloading-7mm-08 question

Mackegney

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum. I found this by a friend who is going to teach me how to reload. Bought a set of Hornady dies for 7mm -08. I run savage 110 storm with a 22 in barrel. I am from New Jersey but have been hunting in Idaho the past few years with a buddy from Arco. My main focus is mule deer. I have found my gun likes the Barnes ttsx bt. I have 50 each of 120 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain.
My question to the experts would be which grain weight would you choose for mulies and what velocity on the high end should I aim for with each grain weight. We will be using varget with star line brass. Thanks so much everyone.

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum. I found this by a friend who is going to teach me how to reload. Bought a set of Hornady dies for 7mm -08. I run savage 110 storm with a 22 in barrel. I am from New Jersey but have been hunting in Idaho the past few years with a buddy from Arco. My main focus is mule deer. I have found my gun likes the Barnes ttsx bt. I have 50 each of 120 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain.
My question to the experts would be which grain weight would you choose for mulies and what velocity on the high end should I aim for with each grain weight. We will be using varget with star line brass. Thanks so much everyone.
I would go with the 120 or 140 whichever shoots the best your rifle will tell you this I would suspect the 120 would run around 3000 and the 140 around 2800 but again your rifle will dictate where it likes the velocity

I would go with the 120 or 140 whichever shoots the best your rifle will tell you this I would suspect the 120 would run around 3000 and the 140 around 2800 but again your rifle will dictate where it likes the velocity
I'm going to say this would mirror my reply, I'm partial to the 140gr myself its what my gun shoots the best with. Varget is a good powder choice as well, H or IMR 4350 are two other good choices. Good Shooting and welcome aboard the site. Dave

Hi everyone
IMR 4064 with 139 gr bullets is the ticket in my 24 in barrel.

Just loaded up my first rounds. 140 grain ttsx bt. Over 40 grains of varget with federal 210 primers. Coal was 2.755. Really enjoying the whole process. Figure it's a light load to start. Anyone have an idea of what FPS that might generate out of a 22 inch barrel?

Hi everyone
I use the 150 eld-x in my 22 in barrel 7-08 ,preferring the higher B.C. (.570) over the added velocity of the 139 and 140 grain bullets for shooting past 300 yards. I use 45.2 gr H4350 (m.v.- 2740 fps) sitting .010 off the lands with Nosler brass. I am sure your Barnes ttsx will do the trick on Mulies . Happy Hunting

Welcome and great selection for your rifle. Any of those bullet weights will kill mulies but many here will tell you that your rifle will tell you what bullet weight and type it prefers.
Since you are reloading for hunting, yes you will be trying to maximize your velocity along with accuracy/precision. I'd suggest getting a Loadbooks USA manual for the 7mm-08 from Cabelas or other. For about $8 you get published loads from many bullet powder and powder manufacturers in one book. Also, check out the online data from Speer, Hodgdon, Berger, Nosler and others. cheers

Yes, thanks for the boost of confidence in my rifle choice. City boys don't know much about this stuff and no one in my family ever hunted (they look at me very funny). I have looked at so many online load data sites (federal ballistics, nosler, Barnes load data) it's mind scrambling but so fun and interesting at the same time. How far off the lands, what powder, what grain bullet? So much to learn

Another question. Is the max load listed for each powder the max of SAAMI-spec or just the max load each company used to test that round?

Hi everyone
I have been hand loading and hunting deer with the 7mm-08 for years. It is a great caliber and I have found the 145gr Barnes LRX-BT to be my best hunting bullet.

My best load is:

Pet LoadNosler Turned NecksBarnes LRX-BT145grFed 210MCFE-22342gr. PM 6482,668 f/s2.2365"SakoHunting Load
Recently, I have found the Starline 7mm-08 brass to be excellent. My chrono is a magnetospeed V3.
rifle is Sako finnlight. Groups are consistently sub MOA, with this load in MY rifle. Varget and the new StaBALL 6.5 powders also work well. With a 1x10" rifling twist I cannot shoot the 168gr LRX Bullets without losing stability and keyholeing.
Have fun figuring out what works in your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.