New to PRS/NRL

IdahoHunter208

I am thinking about getting into either PRS or NRL in the next year or 2. I have some good reloading and shooting experience but had a couple questions.
  • What gear is essential to purchase in order to compete besides a rifle? (front/rear bags, bipod, tripod, etc.)
  • Would it be tough to go out to my first match with out any knowledge of the competition?
  • Are people generally friendly enough to help out and direct you in the right direction?
  • How many loaded rounds should I bring to my first match?
  • Zero rifle in at 100 or 200yrds?

Go to a club match and check out people gear and talk them. Most shooters will talk your ear off on there equipment. It will also save you lots of money for gear and components in the beginning.

You can build a profile on the PRS website for the club series for free. You'll have a shooter page, it will track your matches and your overall standing in the club . You can go qualify the regional club finale and even go to the national PRS finale if you are one of the top 3 shooters in the club series for the year. You'll probably find that the level of competition is good and includes some of the national level shooters in your area who want to pick up some one day matches for practice.

I am thinking about getting into either PRS or NRL in the next year or 2. I have some good reloading and shooting experience but had a couple questions.
  • What gear is essential to purchase in order to compete besides a rifle? (front/rear bags, bipod, tripod, etc.)
  • Would it be tough to go out to my first match with out any knowledge of the competition?
  • Are people generally friendly enough to help out and direct you in the right direction?
  • How many loaded rounds should I bring to my first match?
  • Zero rifle in at 100 or 200yrds?

Check out the article on the home page "A Case for PRS". I can't post a link.

I'm a long time PRS newbie.:p I showed up a couple years ago with just a rifle with internal box mag, my MOA second-focal scope, and a basic Harris bipod with the screw tension adjustment things. I had a real good time, and hit plenty of targets. I got hooked and have been slowly improving my scores and gear. The best part was all the friendly people. It's like being at deer camp all day, but no beer until after.:D
If you have a rifle and a scope with some sort of hash reticle, and some sort of ballistic drop and wind data, you're good to go. Just load up however many rounds the match website says is required for the match you choose and go have fun. Then you can figure out what you can't live without.:p Oh, and zero at 100 yards.
If you don't have any ballistic data, reach out to your localest PRS club and ask. I guarantee they'll lend a hand.

I've shot precision rifle competitions for a few years now and, obviously, what works for me might not work for you. That said - I'd recommend a good bipod (Harris SBRM, atlas, warne, etc.) and the Armageddon Gear game changer. Those 2 things coupled with Hornady 4dof ballistic app and you're pretty well set. Maybe a roll of painters tape and a sharply to write your dope on your forearm with.

I'm in a similar situation and on a similar time line so I bet we have a lot of the same questions. I've been reading the articles on precisionrifleblog.com and even though it's mostly "what the pros use" there are a lot of pointers for getting started.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts