New "to me" made in Montana monolithic bullets ...

not worried about weight forward affecting accuracy, I've shot a fair number of Jack Carters original Bear Claw bullets back in the 90's with a Win 70 300 Win Mag, killed some of my biggest moose out beyond 400 yards, with a flat base semi-spitzer bullet with a single digit bc, lol ,

point is, the accuracy was great and I never experienced any issues with the nose heavy bullets, I simply did my homework by shooting my loads in the field in 100 yard increments out to 500 yards and taking notes of my bullet impacts at each distance and hunting in the confines of my ability and knowledge of bullet splash at target ... without accuracy it would not have been possible to take some of the moose and black bear, but I did , funny thing is I shot Swift AFrames with the 8mm Rem Mag and same results, two very differently constructed bullets but both just as effective and accurate

the last couple years I've been shooting the 175 & 200 gr 30 cal TLRs and 175 Terminal Ascent bullets which are based on the bear claw design, weight forward via bonded lead core and solid copper rear, no issues with accuracy yet and moose die on bullet impact

I do have some questions on if the bullet will have a tail dragging effect from the cavity back, possible early loss of stabilized rotation ? only way to find out is to shoot them beyond 500 yards, 100-200 yards ain't gonna tell us anything other than they shoot fine or not AT THAT range ..

gotta take them for a long walk

I don't see how having the weight forward would create any kind of stability issue other than improving it. Think arrows and spears - I know they are slower, but still a forward moving projectile. Weight forward is what makes these projectiles stable. A football does not have weight forward, so it needs more rotation to stabilize. An arrow has some roatation to improve stability, however a spear with sufficient weight forward needs no rotation to fly true. So while it may or may not cause other issues, I would think stability would improve?
Fletchings are what makes arrows stable and if applied properly give arrows rotation to help stabilize them. Spears are rather unstable period and that forward weight causes them to drop really fast.

Arrows drop much faster with a heavy broadhead compared to lighter target points and broadheads. That's why modern hunting points have gotten much lighter and slimmer in profile with expanding rather than fixed blades.

The Massi Spear, one of the finest primitive weapons ever invented actually adds weight in the form of a large stabbing blade at the rear to add stability. The thin, elongated blade on the forward end is the blade they rely on when it is thrown.

not worried about weight forward affecting accuracy, I've shot a fair number of Jack Carters original Bear Claw bullets back in the 90's with a Win 70 300 Win Mag, killed some of my biggest moose out beyond 400 yards, with a flat base semi-spitzer bullet with a single digit bc, lol ,

point is, the accuracy was great and I never experienced any issues with the nose heavy bullets, I simply did my homework by shooting my loads in the field in 100 yard increments out to 500 yards and taking notes of my bullet impacts at each distance and hunting in the confines of my ability and knowledge of bullet splash at target ... without accuracy it would not have been possible to take some of the moose and black bear, but I did , funny thing is I shot Swift AFrames with the 8mm Rem Mag and same results, two very differently constructed bullets but both just as effective and accurate

the last couple years I've been shooting the 175 & 200 gr 30 cal TLRs and 175 Terminal Ascent bullets which are based on the bear claw design, weight forward via bonded lead core and solid copper rear, no issues with accuracy yet and moose die on bullet impact

I do have some questions on if the bullet will have a tail dragging effect from the cavity back, possible early loss of stabilized rotation ? only way to find out is to shoot them beyond 500 yards, 100-200 yards ain't gonna tell us anything other than they shoot fine or not AT THAT range ..

gotta take them for a long walk

Those Bearclaw Bullets were actually a very fine bullet with decent accuracy and excellent terminal performance.

Fletchings are what makes arrows stable and if applied properly give arrows rotation to help stabilize them. Spears are rather unstable period and that forward weight causes them to drop really fast.

Arrows drop much faster with a heavy broadhead compared to lighter target points and broadheads. That's why modern hunting points have gotten much lighter and slimmer in profile with expanding rather than fixed blades.

The Massi Spear, one of the finest primitive weapons ever invented actually adds weight in the form of a large stabbing blade at the rear to add stability. The thin, elongated blade on the forward end is the blade they rely on when it is thrown.

I thought the javelin was center forward heavy (front heavy) because they want to pint to come down first every time.

I thought the javelin was center forward heavy (front heavy) because they want to pint to come down first every time.
The actual Roman type javelin had a large handle for stabbing. The tip was a thin diameter soft iron shaft that was designed to bend when it hit the target and was pulled out so they could not be thrown back. They were not primarily a thrown weapon but served a dual purpose. Either way they were pretty much a single use weapon and the shaft would have to be reworked by the blacksmith before they could be used again.

The Massi Spear heads are not permanently attached, if you plung them in and the stick the shaft pulls right out so you can flip it around and use the other end.

Throwing spears in general tended to have smaller head/blades for better balance as those with heavier heads had a very high but short arc.

Yes, on a throwing javelin you want it coming down tip first but they tended to have light tips for piercing, particularly for piercing armor and chain mail so they could be thrown great distances and still penetrate.

Now if you want to talk about a distance weapon, the Clovis Point People of the Llano Estacado had a truly perfected Atlatl that used a fletched projectile they could hurl a very long way compared to the more primitive versions without fletchings that were far less stable.

Last edited:
I believe these spears are still weight forward of center though, and arrows can fly true without the fetching if tuned properly, the fetching just make them much more forgiving. And they are still weight forward of center.
Arrows without fletching have serious yaw problems. As those videos demonstrate they are only very slightly weighted in the front compared to total weight and as a result drop quickly. The way that is compensated for is by gripping the heavier front weighted shafts more forward.

Trying to make even comparisons too those weapons and a modern bullet that is already very light in the front end, or VLD's that are even lighter is like comparing a boulder to a Porsche.

Arrows without fletching have serious yaw problems. As those videos demonstrate they are only very slightly weighted in the front compared to total weight and as a result drop quickly. The way that is compensated for is by gripping the heavier front weighted shafts more forward.

Trying to make even comparisons too those weapons and a modern bullet that is already very light in the front end, or VLD's that are even lighter is like comparing a boulder to a Porsche.
If the bow is properly tuned a bare shaft arrow will still fly true. Read up on bare shaft tuning if you haven't already.