new to LRH from western ND

ndthwacker

Hey all, I been reading on this site for sometime and finally decided to become a member. I am just getting into the long range shooting after drooling over other peoples builds and guns. I grew up here in western ND on a farm and ranch. I have been shooting guns my whole life so I do know a little bit about them. My current collection of guns is a tika 22-250, remington 700 22-250, multiple 22s 3 colts 2 marlins, browning a bolt 300wm, remington 700 25-06 and 243. 30-30, benneli black eagle n vinci, and few more odds balls. My newest gun on the way is a custom 338 lapua mag im real excited to get. I know everyone on here has alot of knowledge and im excited to learn more as I know I have alot to learn.

Welcome to LRH. Sounds like you've got quite the group of rifles. Given all the redundancy you have, you've got lots of choices if you want to do a custom build. Also, you could sell a couple in order to finance a custom build.

Tell us a little more about your longrange goals. Do you want to develop the skills to hunt? shoot targets? tactical competition?

my goals as far as long range is both paper and hunting, probley no comp. my backyard is my range and i can get out to 2000 yrds. my longest hits on paper are 800 yds with my 300 win mag with a zeiss rapid z 800 on it. my main deer rifle and farthest deer kill has been my remington 700 25-06 with a vx3 3-12 leupold. and that was 507yds. my main play gun is my tika 22-250 with a heavy barrel, on that i have a leupold 3- 20 witht he varmit reticle, i love that gun, i have shot a coyote at 480 with that also and a fox at 459. so as far as goals its a mix of paper in the back yard and hunting. i dont plan on going over 1000 yrds for hunting. but i would love to be able to take my 338 lapua and know enough about my gun to be able to with confidence shoot a animal at a grand or more if need be. I see myself only going out to 800 for hutning, and 1800 on paper. Now i dont think i can just get a big bad rifle put nf scope on it and pick it up and do that so thats not what im doing here. I want to learn all i can about it. I want to be the best i can at what i do and i know it does take practice and more practice. but that works out for me cuz i love pulling the trigger on any gun. There has yet to be a gun i shot and did not smile after i was done. As far as ever selling guns to get custom ones i dont think i can do that, it would be very hard for me to let any one of my guns go. I think i will have to bite the bullet and just shell out some cash for another when the times comes. I forgot to add that along with guns i am obsessed with bow hunting, i live to stock muleys and also anjoy a night or 2 in a treestand.

I also should add that if anyone reads any of my posts and says to themself this guy is a idiot he cant even spell, well ur 100 percent right, i cant spell worth a ***t. Also the run on sentances, and paragraphs are also one of my strong points in life, always have been and always will be. so there is no need to try to make me aware of my bad grammer skills as i already know im very good at being bad at it.

Cool, welcome to LRH. I am from Dickinson and also reload for most of the calibers you listed including the 338 Lapua. Good luck this hunting season!

Riley

Cool, welcome to LRH. I am from Dickinson and also reload for most of the calibers you listed including the 338 Lapua. Good luck this hunting season!

Riley
I also am from the dickinson area, actually from north of taylor, i graduated from DHS in 2007 i played ball there. What do you got for reloading equipment? As i plan to start getting into that but i do not even know where to start so if you could send me in the right direction that would be great.

I have this kit Redding Big Boss Single Stage Press Pro-Pak Kit. But it is far from complete, you still need a case tray, sizing and seating dies, shellholders, a larger powder funnel for the Lapua sized cases, a tumbler isnt neccasary but i like my rounds to be clean and shiny, a trimmer, a powder measure, some neck lube, calipers, and these arent neccasary either but they sure do help consistancy Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action, Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set 6serts, and the modified cases for each specific caliber to measure your distance to the lands.

Whats your last name? I might recognize it.

my goals as far as long range is both paper and hunting, probley no comp. my backyard is my range and i can get out to 2000 yrds. my longest hits on paper are 800 yds with my 300 win mag with a zeiss rapid z 800 on it. my main deer rifle and farthest deer kill has been my remington 700 25-06 with a vx3 3-12 leupold. and that was 507yds. my main play gun is my tika 22-250 with a heavy barrel, on that i have a leupold 3- 20 witht he varmit reticle, i love that gun, i have shot a coyote at 480 with that also and a fox at 459. so as far as goals its a mix of paper in the back yard and hunting. i dont plan on going over 1000 yrds for hunting. but i would love to be able to take my 338 lapua and know enough about my gun to be able to with confidence shoot a animal at a grand or more if need be. I see myself only going out to 800 for hutning, and 1800 on paper. Now i dont think i can just get a big bad rifle put nf scope on it and pick it up and do that so thats not what im doing here. I want to learn all i can about it. I want to be the best i can at what i do and i know it does take practice and more practice. but that works out for me cuz i love pulling the trigger on any gun. There has yet to be a gun i shot and did not smile after i was done. As far as ever selling guns to get custom ones i dont think i can do that, it would be very hard for me to let any one of my guns go. I think i will have to bite the bullet and just shell out some cash for another when the times comes. I forgot to add that along with guns i am obsessed with bow hunting, i live to stock muleys and also anjoy a night or 2 in a treestand.
man you are lucky you can shoot to 2000 yards in your backyard, we have trouble finding some spots to shoot over 800 yards!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.