new to LR hunting tactics & forum

nomadhunter

Hello to those who read this humble thread, I've been hunting w/ a post '64 Winchester model 70 chambered for .30-06; I use an early model Leuplod VX1 3-9x40 for optics and ALWAYS set my scope @ 4x- the sweet spot for woods & chaparral. I shoot 150 gr Winchester Power Point and zero for MPBR. I never had to use MPBR to it's fullest potential- I harvest my bucks well w/in 200 yds.; Cut sign, track, Spot & stalk combined with still-hunt has been my tactics for years.

This year I dappled in high desert hunting and creeping up on those critters is a delicate piece of work; on three attempts I couldn't get w/in my effective range. But in the same environment I've watched my hunting friend take a nice buck @ 300+yds. Now, I am about diversifying my tactics-LR. lightbulb

So, I am looking into a Winchester Model 70 chambered for .270 and considering the Leupold FXII 6x36 equipped with the LR reticle. I expect to reach out with a faster & flatter flying 130 gr, say, 4-500 yds. w/out too much concern of what extreme LR shooters have to "dope-up". To me, considering my experience, that seems a good start and as for reaching out that far, well, good luck to me. I foresee range time.
Zero at 200 yds.? or MPBR? hmm?
Bench to zero - for sure.
Plenty of practice in the prone, sitting, and kneeling-yes.
Well, that's it; any feed back is welcomed.
Thanks to all who took interest in this thread.

That sounds like a plan. For what you want sounds like you have it. If your not stuck on brand check out savage rifles. I'm not in to any one brand and even he savage axis I have shoot great out to 500. As for 270. Great round that's what I started on and made my first kill on a mule deer at 328 yards with very little shooting. Two weeks later dropped a doe at 498 yards no problem. Sight in 2" high at 100 and then just double check your drop out a ways. If not possible like a lot of places here. Zero at maybe 200 and just use a ballistic app so you know how far it will drop. Very simple for the ranges you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.